Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

hahaha

hahaha

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I used to get on my computer just about everyday, be on the internet and i have music downloads and some games that i use daily. As of christmas day when i turned on my computer it would seem to start up normally but would go to a screen that says that a power failure or some files were being messed with so it turned off. then it asked if i wanted to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with prompting, regularly, or last known good configuration. Ive tried all of them and none of them have worked it just restarts and goes back to the same screen, but safe mode w/ networking/prompting/regular will have lines of number and words go down. Although one time it randomly told me it was trying to check and i belive fix a disk or hard drive problem so i hoped it would fix it so i let it do what it wanted, but after that it took me to the screen with the options of safe mode and how my computer may have shut down to protect its files. And about 2 weeks ago i started getting pop-ups that were all the same and i used to never get pop ups becasue of a popup blocker. I have windows xp home pavillion. Any help to get me anywhere with this problem is appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start at the top and work through

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

To recover a corrupt registry which prevents Windows XP from starting

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
when i chose to start in any of the options the computer ends up restarting and gives me the options again, i cannot get any further than the options without it restarting

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, insert the XP CD, change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then Hard Drive, press F10 to save, press enter, type Y then press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter, follow the guide for repairing XP

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
im pretty confident that i followed the steps you gave me as god as i could but all i got was the usually beeping when i kept tapping the del. key until it got to the options of running in safe mode and all the other ones. and when i put the cd in i hear the computer start to get busy for about 5 seconds then it quits.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can also be that you keep tapping F2 or F1 so try those in that order

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is it possible to find the guide for repairing xp on the internet? Or do i have to go find some of the computers paper.

Thanks for the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is the first guide in guides and tutorials for XP pinned at the top of this forum

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
after loading the cd on the blue screen i then get the options to -To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
or - Recovery Console, press r

the computer wont let me get to the next screen by selecting set up Windows XP now because it cant find the end user licese agreement...... what do i do?

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the exact error message it shows

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i took the memory chip out of there and dont have the time right now to put it back in and find out what the message says but im pretty sure it just says "could not get (ELUA) end user license agreement" and then something like, cannot run, then it gives me like 10 seconds til it restarts or i can hit esc to restart. but if its a must, this evening i can try n start it up again and get the exact words

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a new one to me, and as it's a small file there isn't a reason the CD should not find it

Who supplied the CD

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i think my dad ordered it from microsoft or maybe its even the one from my moms comp. (the one im using right now) so ill look around and see if i cant find another one

hahaha

hahaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i think im just gonna use a different computer that no one uses. which brings me to another question. if i had a virus or anything like that on my computer and took out the memory card from it and put it in another one would it take the virus with it or how does that work

.......thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, it wouldn't transfer because it doesn't retain anything without being constantly in use and powered