Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start-up Help

• Please log in to reply

KindKill

KindKill

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just finished building myself a new computer, and everything is new except the hard drive. I am using one from my old computer until i can buy a new hard drive and Windows. So i go to start and it says that it stopped starting Windows because there might be a virus on the drive. It started fine on my old computer, and no viruses i was aware of. I want to know how to get to a DOS prompt during start-up. I am trying to update my BIOs and i have it on a floppy. Need to know how to get to DOS prompt.

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you insert a floppy with a BIOS update and then boot the PC it should run that before starting Windows

Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, check the boot includes the floppy drive / floppy boot seek