Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't add Printers

• Please log in to reply

sam292038

sam292038

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I had problems with pops ups and spyware now those problems are fixed I have a new one. Somewhere in the process I loss all my printers and now I get this error message "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running" when I tried to add a printer.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter, look down the list for print spooler, double click it, set start up type to automatic, click apply, click to start the service, reboot

sam292038

sam292038

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I did that before the reboot I got this error message " Could not stsrt Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The deppendency service or group failed to start.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This issue may occur if the correct installation and functionality of a newly installed printer is affected by an existing third-party printer driver or service.

For example, this issue may occur if the LexBCE custom printer driver from Lexmark is installed on your computer before you add another printer.

RESOLUTION

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For additional information about starting your computer in Safe mode, click Start, click Help and Support, type safe mode in the Search box, press ENTER, and then click the Start Windows in Safe mode topic.

1. Start the computer in Safe mode.

2. Start Windows Explorer, and then delete all files and folders in the following two folders:

• c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

• c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

3. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

4. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

• Drivers

• Print Processors

5. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 4, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 4 .

6. Navigate to and then click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

• BJ Language Monitor

• Local Port

• PJL Language Monitor

• Standard TCP/IP Port

• USB Monitor

7. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 6, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 6.

8. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

9. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then try to print a test page.

sam292038

sam292038

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Did all that and still won't work. I plug the printer cable in and loaded the printer set up disk in and nothing. I have tried to find new hardware and nothing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Generally, you can connect the cable to the PC but leave it switched off, insert the installation CD and only switch the printer on when it prompts during install, if you plug an Epson in, the installer will not detect it if it already switched on and Dell mention to cancel the windows installer if it runs when you insert the installation disc

sam292038

sam292038

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have tried that it will not find the printer.