Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best program to replace Microsoft Antispyware?

• Please log in to reply

mike10

mike10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just updated the family computer to the newest version of Microsoft Antispyware
And now it will now only run in the account that it is installed in
I was looking through microsofts newsgroups and there appears to be lots of other people with the same problem and they have not figured out a way to fix it

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I should replace it with?

Advertisements

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
If Microsoft Antispyware is really an antispyware :) then use AdAware. Google it, I can't be bothered to recall its URL :tazz:

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Spybot S&D has this nifty little aspect called a TeaTimer. It maintains your system's settings. If you already have Spybot, enable the TeaTimer, or get it here - http://www.safer-net...rors/index.html

Oh, and you can reinstall MSAS (Microsoft Antispyware), and when you install it, it should prompt you for the very option your concern is about.

Personally, I don't like the program, it uses a lot of resources. If you scan regularly with Lavasoft Ad-Aware (the personal edition is free) and an Antivirus program (CA eTrust EZ Antivirus is my personal favorite), then you don't need such a behemoth running in the background. =]

Hope this helps.

Edited by Seven!, 01 January 2006 - 02:38 AM.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Microsoft Antispyware is a waste of spce and resources in my opinion, I have had it on my machine since it came out. It does not update definitions, tells you it is, even tells you it is installing new ones, but if you note the version number of the definitions, as soon as you restart it will have reverted to the old ones. Real piece of junk.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
On a side note, Sunbelt's Counterspy is based off of GIANT Antispyware, so if you're looking for something non-Microsoft affiliated, then look no further. The program itself is almost identical, but the resources it uses are much less and scan time is lesser.

Here's a link to the trial: http://www.sunbelt-s...py-Download.cfm