Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed about ide cables

• Please log in to reply

Chrymonin

Chrymonin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could provide me ideas on how i can connect an ide cable to reach another hard drive that i want to add. Currently all my ide cables are being used including the hdd ide cables, but i just recently bought a 300gb seagate ata harddrive and i want to add it in and i found that i there isn't enough length for the ide cable to reach the hard drive even when I tried dragging down my dvd writer and pulling out the other writer in order to get more closer to the hard drive so i could try and connect the other ide cable, but it still isn't long enough to attach onto the harddrive. So I'm wondering what are my other options?
Thanks in advance!

Edited by Chrymonin, 31 December 2005 - 03:41 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put it on the same IDE cable that your current hard drive is on now. In most cases this means it'll be usually next door to it and most cables will reach it then.

You shouldn't need to disconnect anything else UNLESS you've got four IDE devices in there already and the 300Gb drive makes a fifth, in which case you'd have to sacrifice something to make room.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or you could go out and buy a longer IDE cable from a shop.

Chrymonin

Chrymonin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Put it on the same IDE cable that your current hard drive is on now. In most cases this means it'll be usually next door to it and most cables will reach it then.

You shouldn't need to disconnect anything else UNLESS you've got four IDE devices in there already and the 300Gb drive makes a fifth, in which case you'd have to sacrifice something to make room.

My IDE cables are all being used. I tried disconnecting my cd writer that is also attached to a dvd writer in order to use that IDE cable, but it isn't long enough to reach the 300gb hard drive. Then i tried bringing down the dvd writer to the bottom slot and it still it's just short of the 300gb hard drive.

Or you could go out and buy a longer IDE cable from a shop.

I tried going today, but i don't need a longer ide cable rather that i need the distance between the two needs to be longer not the one connecting to the mobo...if u get what i mean.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ahh right, you get IDE cables that are longer in that respect as well, most are long enough but in bought systems they buy cheap stuff so everything is only just what it should be and not even that. Take your cable to a PC shop or measure it and they should be able to get one the right size.