Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

il2od

il2od

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi im just wondering why my computer restarts and freezes like sometimes when im playing a game it freezses and restarts and while im watching t.v on my computer (haupauge tv tuner) it sometimes freezes and restarts and sometimes im playing poker online from my computer it just restarts wondering if any 1 knows how to fix this

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. You need to examine each one and fix it or rule it out as the cause. Start by opening the case and checking the fans/heatsink/inside for dirt. Canned air is a good way to clean it out. Just make sure the "canned air" container remains upright as you use it. Once you know the fans are working and the computer is clean, move on to the next possible cause. Test the memory with http://www.memtest.org/. Make sure the drivers are up to date. If you need to update the video driver, clean the existing intallation with Driver Cleaner (http://www.drivercleaner.net/) before installing the new driver. Once all of this is done, consider the power supply as the possible cause.

il2od

il2od

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So wat if i have like alot of dust do i have to clean it

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
yea, If you have lots of dust you need to clean it out. You can get "canned air" at CompUSA, Best Buy, Fry's, even Walmart. Use this to blow the dust out of the heat sink fins, the fans, etc. Use the vacuum cleaner to suck up what you blow out. Just do not invert the canned air container as you do this because it will squirt liquid. Also, make sure the computer is turned off and power disconnected as you do this. Dust build up inside your computer causes increased heat. That could be your problem.