Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Catalyst control centre

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I just recently got an ATI RX9250 128mb AGP card which is good for me as i don't play games on my PC.
When i raised the resolution quite high some wma files i have looked a lot sharper and that's what i was after as i have a lot of these to study and work with and naturally want the best pic i can have.
I'm scared to raise the resolution though in case i stop power dvd working again and i really need some help with configuring my PC and AGP card.

In ATI catalyst control centre app i have,i can configure something called profiles.

I have read but still don't understand what exactly it is and what it does either.Does anyone know or understand what "Profiles" means with reference to an ATI card ?

I'm guessing here that i might be able to configure a "Profile" to use a higher resolution when i'm using adobe photoshop for instance,or dvd playback quality.Am i right ?
Thereby leaving the lower res settings for normal web browsing-Am I right ?

I've tried upping the res on the desktop and it worked and can go up a lot more than it is set at presently and i liked the results too,but power dvd didn't like it before and put up a little error box then stopped working.Obviously i don't want that to happen again and i've succesfully re-installed power dvd now too and it's all working OK now.
I want to get the most from this AGP card and as i'm not a gamer i chose a RX9250 which is fine for the 2D stuff i want[i have a PS2 for games].I also found an app called radeon tweaker but i don't know what settings to change,so i've left it alone for now.

Basically i want Hi-Res pics in photoshop and the best possible res pic for DVD and .wma playback.
Does anyone know how to accomplish the above task ?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The same res should work with both power dvd operates at any res it would seem the problem was with power dvd.

Profiles let you save different sets of options and choose between them. for the internet you can leave the res high and just adjust the text size.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK Warriorscott, i'll try it.

My PC is a DAW part time and has to do double duty as an internet browser,but i don't fill it full of internet stuff.I keep it clean and de-fragged every day and try to use as little internet apps as i need.I have SB Player live but use KX drivers for much lower latency when recording with Nuendo and Sonar.It's not bad with KX drivers but unless you record with SB live there's no advantage to using them.
When i started recording i had to remove some software called Ace mega codecs pack as it was causing some conflict with Nuendo.
When i uninstalled that Do you think that might have caused power dvd to have problems ? Like it lost a few files or something in the uninstall ?

I have power dvd back on disc now so if it goes wrong when i up the res again,at least i can re-install again if necessary.Hope it doesn't though. :tazz:
By any chance does anyone understand how to configure the settings in catalyst control centre ? warriorscott ?

I know it's not a fancy gamers card but i'd love to know how to use that catalyst thingy.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I did what you said and it worked this time and is fine now.
Thanks Warriorscott. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Great, catalyst control centre is the same for everyone pretty much just what you can set on it differs for the cards. Easiest way to figure it out is to experiment with it.