Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No USB devices working

• Please log in to reply

Arisse

Arisse

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can you please help me?

None of my USB devices (optical mouse, external hard drive, Ipod) are being recongized by my computer. Until 2 days ago, they were all working perfectly...just plug and play since I've owned my computer (3 years). Now, the mouse 'lights up' but doesn't control the cursor. The USB port allows the IPOD to charge, but the IPOD isn't recognized. And the external hard drive just isn't showing up on my hard drive.

Checked device manager and there are no errors - USB hub is working. When I try Safely Remove Hardware, none of these devices show up. Can you please help me? Getting desparate here...

Thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove all the leads for the USB

Press and hold down the windows key then press the pause break key, release the keys, click hardware then device manager, look for universal serial bus controllers, click + then left click each one listed, right click, click delete, confirm and repeat until they are all cleared, reboot the PC

Plug a USB device in, check it works, if not, leave just this device connected and reboot, check it works

Arisse

Arisse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, it reinstalled the devices...but still no luck getting it to recognize USB devices...Any other ideas?