Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

dirtnapp

dirtnapp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Happy New Year! I am having a little trouble and it is driving me crazy. I tried to download some songs onto a new mp3 player and when I plugged it into the usb it recognized a new device but when it went to the install wizard it said I was missing a file called USBSTOR.SYS I don't know how or where I can get this. It is most likely on all computer but the problem is this is the only computer I have. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I did a google search for USBSTOR.SYS and found http://www.usb-drive...rs/28/28628.htm which says you can get the driver at http://www.driverguide.com/. You will have to resister there (free). I didn't search M$. It is possible the file is available to download there as well.

dirtnapp

dirtnapp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much! One more stuoid question. Once I download it through the download manager, how do I get it onto my computer? It asks me if I want to open it but I can't.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You could just drop it into
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

It is odd, however, that it was not installed. The file is part of the standard windows install as far as I know.