Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page Cannot Be Displayed Proxy Server Problem?

• Please log in to reply

steveo81

steveo81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help with this problem? I use AOL to connect to internet but like to use Internet Explorer as my browser. I am running Windows 98 and have used this preference for some time now.

Just recently I connected to the internet as normal and then opened up Internet Explorer. However the Page Cannot be Displayed error came up. At the bottom the browser it said something like Connecting Http:127.0.0 and then the page cannot be displayed appears.

The connection was fine and my AOL browser was working so I thought that there must be a spyware problem. I ran HiJack This and a suspicious line had appeared.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=http://127.0.0.1:80

I have tried to delete this (also in safe mode) using Hijack This and have run numerous spyware programmes such as About Buster, Spybot etc. However it disappears only to reappear when I try and open Internet Explorer. I don't use a Proxy Server (I don't think anyway!) so not sure how to get rid of this.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi steveo81!!! Welcome to Geeks To Go!!!
if you use aol then you are going almost certainly through a proxy, you should contact aol and find out exactly which proxy you are dialing up to so that you can ajust the settings in IE. this is something i can not help you with aol will have to do that. i whould also like to take this opertunity to recomend you upgrade your IE if you havent already.

hope this is helpful,

mike