Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Printer and New Digital Camera

• Please log in to reply

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a new Dell AIO 944 Printer and a new Sony Digital Camera. I have connected both to the USB and when I restarted the computer the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up for the Camera and asked if I have a disk that came with the product and to insert it now and press next. I do that and it searches and then I get a screen that says " The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot fine the necassary software. So I click cancel and the next Found New Hardware Wizard comes up for the printer and I go thru the same steps and the same thing happens with the printer. I had ran a IDE Drive Diagnostics and I believe the Drive that I am putting these disk into came up with this diagnostic; Drive0: Maxtor 6y080L0 Fail, Return Code 7, Drive 1: No Device. So I'm not sure what is happening.
I have Windows XP, Dimesion 8300
Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Carefully review the installation instructions to make sure you are following the correct procedure. I would guess both of these came with software and drivers on a cd, which you are putting in your cd/dvd drive. The method that I had to follow when I installed my digial camera was to put the cd in the drive, connect the device up to the usb port and then power up the device. At that time, the new hd wizzard should detect it and get the driver from the cd.

I am confused about your drive error message. If you put the software in the cd drive, do you see it with windows explorer? Perhaps you could post your full system specs. This will enable folks to help you better.

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have gone thru the installtion process with the printer, but when I go to Control Panels, Printers & Faxes it does not show the printer. When I go to All Programs there is a tab for Dell Printers and it show the 944 but when I click on it I get a message saying the printer driver is not installed, please install the driver. I believe I'm doing everything correct, but for some reason its not reconizing the driver. Also, in Device Manager I have a Yellow ? & ! next to both the printer and the camera.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Brenda, place the cd in your drive and then right click the drive and choose EXPLORE.

Expand all the the folders (+) so we can see the entire heirarchy.

Do a screen capture by hitting the PrtSc key, then open Microsoft Paint and go to EDIT > PASTE

Save the image and upload it with your next post. Sometimes windows hardware wizard isn't the smartest thing in the world in finding the drivers.

OR

Download the drivers for your printer from here---

http://support.dell....1&fileid=144124

Odds are it is an execuable file which will negate the need for the hardware wizard

If you list your camera model, we may be able to provide a driver for that as well

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I hope I did this right and you get ok.
Thanks