Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mysteriously slinking free disk space

• Please log in to reply

Rubinho

Rubinho

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dear members,

since a few weeks my windows partition (C:\) has been bleeding free space. It used to be 1.3 GB, not it's only 250 mB. In these last weeks, I haven't installed anything on it.
It seems to have coincided with my installation of Civilization III, three weeks ago. But this was on another partition.
I have a quite up-to-date version of XP SP2, and I can't find any virus or spyware infections.
I have changed some settings in the control panel, to make Windows place it's virtual memory on another partition, but this didn't help.
Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

Greetings and happy new year.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, click clean up restore points, click OK

Rubinho

Rubinho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm now back on 870 mB. Still not optimal, but a lot better. Any more tips, anyone?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, delete cookies, delete files and tick to include offline content, click to clear history, click settings and set the amount of drive for temp files to 30MB, click apply whenever asked

Click advanced, look for do not save encrypted pages to disc and tick this, click apply, then further down, tick empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, close the browser

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot, check the PC is running OK, empty the recycle bin