Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no display output/dvd-rw drive won't respond

• Please log in to reply

jacksonL

jacksonL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey! This is my first time building a computer. I just built it and it's not giving me any display output (which is my primary concern). Also, the DVD-RW drive won't open. In its current state I'm able to start all the fans and hear/feel the HD buzz by plugging it in, turning on the PSU, and pressing the power button.

Here are my specifications:

Antec Sonata II case w/ supplied SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard (Connected to the case via 20pin plug. There's also another 4-pin plug (and one that's connected to the 20pin PSU plug), but when I connect those the computer won't start at all.)

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice (Cooled with a Zalman 7000b-Cu w/ Arctic Silver thermal paste. HS/F is plugged into the mobo correctly and runs when I turn on the machine.)

1GB Rosewill RAM

XFX NVidia GeForce 6800GS (The default 6-pin plug wasn't supported by my PSU so I used the included converter to change it into two 4-pin-sized-but-only-3-pin standard molex plugs. Both are plugged in. It's connected to the monitor via supplied 15-pin D-SUB.)

CMV 15" Monitor (Powers on, plugged in with 15-pin D-SUB to the GPU as mentioned before.)

NEC DVD Burner (Plugged into the PSU via 4-pin standard molex plug, and plugged into the mobo via IDE ribbon (primary)).

Maxtor 200GB HDD (My PSU has a connector that fits into this thing's male, but the documentation that came with my case said to use a converter to convert it to a 4-pin standard molex, so I did that and plugged it in that way (not sure if that was necessary/good/bad). It's plugged into the motherboard via SATA cord.)

Thanks for any help! If you need information I'd of course be happy to supply it. :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Follow this guide and see if anything helps then report back what you tried.

Rick