Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Angry at iTunes..

• Please log in to reply

tekietek

tekietek

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, so I'm being the good samaritan--paying apple a buck a song--but they won't play in windows media player. This stinks, but I can deal with it--I figured I could just convert all my files into iTunes files--use the iTunes player, right?

Wrong!

I have an HP dv1000, and it's got this beautiful feature that allows me to access my default media player via buttons above the keyboard.. http://www.notebookr...assets/3012.jpg Apparently, this feature ONLY works if I'm in the itunes window--it doesn't work 'behind the scenes' like in the windows player...

Is there any way I can get these apple files to play in windows? I know they are copyrighted--but is there any way around it--legally?

Edited by tekietek, 31 December 2005 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does your keyboard allow the assignment of the hotkeys

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Probably.. but what's the point of having the media controls? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I just changed the media key to open whatever player I want it to, see if you have this option in keyboard settings

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
like i said, i did that. but it only works when i'm actually in the itunes program..

when its media player, i can be surfing and change songs, stop them, pause them, etc.. with itunes it doesnt work unless im in the program.. i don't want to switch back and forth just to skip a song--that defeats the purpose of having the shortcuts in the first place!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Download your songs from someone else in the mp3 format and then you can put them into itunes but they play in media player. Mind you i dont buy music online its actually cheaper to buy an album from the shops usually, unless its a very small album and the cd gives you a hard copy and usually comes with some bonus content for computers as well.

tekietek

tekietek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Is anybody actually listening to me? HELLO!! I feel like I'm talking to a wall!!

I *CANT* use *iTUNES* because it is ***NOT*** (and i'll say it again, NOT) compatible with my laptop media controls!!! How many times do I have to say this??

Has anyone even looked at the link? Media controls--they don't work! Not unless I'm actually in the Itunes program itself, and I DON'T WANT TO FLIP BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN PROGRAMS TO BE ABLE TO USE THEM!!!!

Sorry for flipping out, but you guys aren't even addressing the issue!! I appreciate the help, but I feel like you're treating me like an idiot--I know what I'm talking about, and if you really want to help me read the problem--don't skim it and tell me things I've already tried

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the keyboard have an F-Lock key to switch off the HP keys

Ask them here

http://h20179.www2.h...9&lang=en&cc=us

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is it just itunes that does this or does say real player or one of the other players not do it.

I think i know what you are meaning i occasionally get the problem with winamp where my MS keyboard media keys wont work if for example the player is minimised or i am reading the internet, i solved the problem by going into winamps menu and rechecking the option for global hotkeys, i also reinstalled the latest version of my keyboard drivers and installed the latest version of winamp(yes i know its not itunes but the problem is the same), it still occasionaly happens but it usually only happens if media player or one of my other players has been started as it resets the defualts back to the other player from winamp at least for the keyboard.

Hope my ramblin helped Keith probably has a better way to fix it mind you other than my trial and error with my other software(ive never actually sat and looked at the problem to long as i notice the problem only when im doing something else and i never have got around to sit and check it all over, was never to much of a bother i usually just go back into winamp and switch to another album when i get fed up of a song, ah well rambling, chek out what Keith tells you to im sure he will help you get it fixed.

I still think the easiest way to solve all of itunes many problems is not to use itunes though, but im a winamp fan and i think there is a sublimenal add in some of the visualisers that make you dislike all other media playing software lol.

Also have you tried real player i think it plays them, also you can decrypt them and im pretty sure its legal since DRM isnt a legal copyrighting method apparently so it can be removed legally but in case it isnt youll have to google it and find it for yourself.

You can also get a plugin for most players including WMP to play the apple music files.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 January 2006 - 01:36 PM.