Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network not working

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
My wireless network was happily working for around 6 months, but the other day I guess it just decided to quit, because all of my computers lost connection to the internet.
I messed around with it for a while, and now my laptop has wireless internet, but my desktop has to be plugged into the router with a Cat6; when I try to connect wirelessly this program I have says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found", and windows gives me the "Limited or no connectivity" message.
What in the world could be wrong?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Check both machines with the following

start > run
cmd
enter
type
ipconfig /all

report back
ip address
subnet mask
gateway
for each machine

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I'll have the rest later if you need them, this is for the machine that isn't working (laptop is being fussy with its charge)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D3-0A-1D-93
		Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
		Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
		Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Obviously this isn't my real IP address, and this is when the desktop is connected to the router with a Cat6.

Edited by W-Unit, 05 January 2006 - 04:53 PM.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Anyone? I can't just keep my desktop connected with this 100ft cat6 running across the house...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
obviously this is not my real ip address?

Well, then, obviously, we cannot help you? What is the point of giving a fake IP Address?

I am not asking you divulge anything important. Since you are using a router, you are on a private network and revealing the actual IP information does not give away anything.

What I need to see is what the malfunctioning laptop is trying to tell us about the connection.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Well, my computer thinks that's my real IP address...I didn't edit it or anything; that's EXACTLY what came up in the command prompt.
What I meant was that it was my local IP address I guess you would call it; the one determined by the router as opposed to the IP address that is given on like whatismyip.com and stuff (i was just stating the obvious really).

Btw, it's the desktop that's malfunctioning; the laptop works fine :whistling:

Edited by W-Unit, 27 June 2006 - 01:52 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You might consider restarting the devices. Turn off the computers and unplug the modem and router for about30 seconds, and restore powet to the router and modem. Wait until the ready lights show that you're ready, and then power back on the computers. This somtimes helps.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Try this simple app called Winsockxpfix 1.2 It has solved many of these types of problems.