Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000

• Please log in to reply

omardaniel

omardaniel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I reboot my computer it gives me the the normal select user screen, then, no matter which user is selected, I get a message 'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to contine' originating from EXPLORER.EXE. The message appears almost immediately.

Ctrl-Alt_Del brings up the Task Manager from which I can logoff the user, get back to the select user screen, and get to the normal Windows shutdown dialog. Task Manager shows lots of processes running, but no applications.

I can reboot to Safe Mode either with or without networking. I should probably state that this problem began as I removed some spyware. I have looked around and tried Google as well using the msg text in several forms. Get lots of hits, but can't seem to find one that fits my symptoms really well. Many of the 'cures' are rather long and involved, also seem to be a bit of trial and error.

Anybody have any bright ideas?

Advertisements

evbcdan

evbcdan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I won't be any help, I am experiencing the same error message on start up. Hopefully someone can help. :tazz:

BinSea

BinSea

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have exactly the same thing. This occurred the first time I rebooted after Winhound showed up on my computer. I was trying to remove it but ever since I rebooted my computer I can't get past the explorer.exe error message except to open the task manager where, as mentioned by omardaniel, there are no applications running. Nice way to start the New Year, eh? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

evbcdan

evbcdan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, however, I can't find my XP disk. Is there another way to may download a possible fix through Microsoft?

Dan

BinSea

BinSea

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I couldn't open the start menu because the desktop is unavailable but I ran the cmd.exe file from "new task" in the Task Manager. and then I typed in "sfc /scannow". It performed a scan, at least there was a progress window that came up, but when it was finished there was no "complete" message or any other message for that matter, it just went back to the command prompt. I tried re-booting my computer but the problem still exists and I still have to access files and programs through the Task Manager. Do you have any other ideas on this strange problem? I've searched quite a bit on the internet and it seems like many people have experienced this same error message so I suppose there must be a common fix that can take care of it....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
unfortunately there is no common fix for this issue...some times it's malware related and sometimes not....i'm gonna make two suggestions here...one for those with the xp cd..and one for those who don't have it....the first suggestion is a repair install of xp...this will not cause you to lose your data...but you will have to re-download all of the windows updates...the other is a trip through the malware forum (this one you all should do justs to be safe...and probably should be done before the repair install if possible)

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.