Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

secure your internet

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Does anyone know of any way to secure your internet explorer without having to use firefox?
Thanks,
T-man

Advertisements

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
SP2
spyware guard
spyware blaster
firewall
IE-SpyAd
some AV program

maybe some more stuff

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Thanks, but I have another question. Will disabling all cookies except for session cookies block some viruses?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Thanks, but I have another question. Will disabling all cookies except for session cookies block some viruses?

All disabling all cookies will do is stop you logging into copious websites. It will have no effect on viruses.

The best way to secure Internet Explorer is to basically crank the security settings up to high and then add trusted sites as you come across them. Next best alternative is just not to use it.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Thanks, will do.
T-Man

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only sure fire way to never get a virus...is to unplug the computer from the wall...put it in a large metal box....lock that box...and destroy the key...

the best way to stay clean is to be smart....don't go to the types of sites that breed malware....have at least one good antivirus and at least one good antispyware program...use a firewall...use common sense

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Also make sure that everything is up to date, try updating at least once a week to make sure you have the most recent stuff and some programs come with a live update kind of thing such as windows. Make sure this is enabled if you have the feature. But besides that everythign else has been said :tazz: But y won't you consider using Opera or firefox, they truly are good browsers. Firefox for one gives you the freedom and costomizing pretty well everything, and comming out with new updates, unlike IE that updates thier browsers like once ever year or two. However the new IE could change all that.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The reason that I do not like to use firefox is because it does not support acive x which makes it hard to view different things over the internet.
Thanks,
T-Man

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I use Avant browser. its basically IE but with tabbed browsing, popup blocker, ad blocker and some other stuff. i dont know how secure it is though. its never given me problems.