Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card upgrade for Dell GX 280

• Please log in to reply

Hazjack

Hazjack

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello!

I need help upgrading my system-Dell GX 280. I need to upgrade my video card. The system has an Intel 82915G/GV/910 GL chipset and I understand that the video is integrated . However, having trouble evening running some low level 3d games that Intel claims is supported. ..aka "Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic."

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-008649.htm

So I need help finding a card. I know I need to buy an PCIeX16 for it and the only choice I saw on Dell's website was an Radeon X300 -----is this my only choice?

I was considering buying an X700 or X550 PCIeX16 if supported...from newegg.com

Thanks

Hazjack

Advertisements

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
To fit the slot, any PCI-e card will work, but it appears that Dell's cases are too small. Look here: http://forums.us.del...=en&cs=04&s=bsd

Edited by Seven!, 02 January 2006 - 05:04 PM.

Hazjack

Hazjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes I read the weblike- posted info on Dell's website---However, I have a tower model and it says just about any PCIeX16 will work....

so what would you more experienced techies-gamies advise if I plan to continue playing 3d games?

Hazjack

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Like I said before, any PCI-e card will fit into the slot. A Radeon X300 is not your only choice. If you think your case is smaller in width than most you've seen, then only buy a low-profile card. If your case looks normal, then any PCI-e card will work.

The system requirements for SW: KotOR look pretty low, so any low-end PCI-e card looks like it'll do.

The X300 is about fifty bucks(newegg.com: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102415 ), and looks like it would be your best option, but you could also go with a Geforce 6200.

If you want to get a card that will last you quite a while, a Geforce 6600 for about 120$ would be a great option.

Would you do me a favor and double check your PCI-e slot actually exists? If you don't mind opening your case up and looking, that's the best way, but if you just want a program that will do it for you, get PC Wizard 2006 ( http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php ).

Install it (it's free), and click on the second-to-top, leftmost icon, Video (looks like a blue monitor with a green brush on it). Then click on Video Card, and down in Information, there will be a note called Bus Type. Does it say PCI-express, or some variant? If it says anything else, tell me.

Hazjack

Hazjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Steven,

Yes, it has a PCIeX16. I am a tech cordinator at a high school and regularly build and work on systems along with many many other duties. I did my homework in regards to what kind of card I would have to purchase -a AGP or PCIeX16 but I am not experienced in the world of gaming and video cards.

I've even done some reading and shopping on line. But not sure really what to purchase to get the most for my buck as this time.....hence the posting.

I was very suprised that my onboard video card did not cut it--as you said the system requirements for SW: KotOR are pretty low. I have successfully played FarCry. MOH, COD,etc with the integrated chipset. I actually played SW: KotOR for about 6 hours and then it crashed. When I restarted got a scan report from SW: KotOR stating that my system won't support it. ...wouldn't launch and run Open GL support after that.

Can you enlighten me in regards to the pros and cons in purchasing a video card---as you suggested a GeForce 6200 vs. an X300?

Thanks
Hazjack :tazz:

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well most people in the video card world are corporately biased; 'Oh, you own an ATI (in this case, the X300) ? Nevermind, I don't want to share my pizza with you', but if you have no immediate bias, then that's completely irrelevent.

If you computer handled Far Cry, even on the poorest settings at 800x600, then I would assume that it should handle KotOR finely, but upgrading your video card isn't a bad idea to begin with.

As far as the 6200 vs X300 goes, in KotOR, they'll most likely run the same (very well, I would imagine). If you plan on playing a game that will push the card, then you might consider the pros / cons of either. Generally, ATI cards, at least in my experience, have handled MMORPGs and other 3D games quite nicely. And given that Dell reccomends the X300 for your system, I think you'll find that customer service would be much more keen to help you, should you ever call / talk to them online.

Both cards, for their price, are quite good deals (esp. if gotten from a retailer such as TigerDirect and NewEgg, which frequently have deals on them).

Hazjack

Hazjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Steven,

Thanks for the info. :)

Now really sure if Dell recommends ONLY the X300 but seems that is what they sell for the system...

Would you recommend an 'off' brand such as Sapphire and Ansus? I have figured out that their were basically two camps so to speak--ATI and NVIDIA---both chips are used in other branded video cards?

:tazz: ...and if you don't mind me asking one more question...what is "hypermemory" as in referenced in Powercolor Radeon X300 HM card?

Hazjack :)

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Brands such as Sapphire and Ansus (Do you mean Asus?) aren't 'off' brands. Dell doesn't necessarily make hardware, as a matter of fact, they probably make very little if any. Asus and Sapphire are high-quality hardware manufacturers, and I bet Dell uses some of their hardware for your machine.

Hypermemory is a method ATI uses to reduce onboard memory without compromising performance.

"HyperMemory (“HM”) is a technology that simulates a 256 MB video card by using part of the system’s RAM memory as video memory: 256 MB HyperMemory video cards have 128 MB of video memory and “steal” 128 MB from the main system RAM. TurboCache technology from nVidia uses the same idea."

If I were you, I'd choose the video card that answers both of your possible issues (one being the height of the video card and the other being the model that Dell reccomends), I mentioned it earlier, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102415

It's the Sapphire X300SE, Low Profile. Of course, there's nothing wrong with the Powercolor model either, but I personally hold Sapphire in higher acclaim.

Cheers, -Seven

Hazjack

Hazjack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Steven,

Thanks for your help. Yes, I mean Asus-----Ansus--really???? talk about uranus jokes :) --probably heard that one but perhaps not asnsu for Asus. Saw that brand listed on newegg.com. I like newegg for many reasons esp. quick shipping.

I think I will go with the X300 then..or if I can afford it so close to Christmas--the GeForce 6600 to last me for some other newer games..

Thanks

Hazjack :tazz: