Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop and icon issues

• Please log in to reply

haerik

haerik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have had a few problems with my computer for awhile that are annoying in the least.

WINXP Home edition
Svc pack 2

On my original login user account somehow my desktop has become extremely screwed up and currently has a white bar to the left with file information as if I were in windows explorer. I think at some point I created a folder desktop in an effort to get rid of a virus, don't ask me why, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

In any case I am unable to place anything like new folders or old folders on the desktop. The few things on the desktop cannot be moved either there's a black circle with a diagonal line anytime I try to move something. I became frustrated and solved the problem by creating a new user log in.

So in the new login I have a somewhat normal desktop but often when I click on the desktop a given icon will highlight as if I double-clicked it to change the name of the file. This sometimes causes problems doing windows explorer searches or opening files. Opening a folder or doing searches will often result in a particular file being highlighted with a blinking curser as if I were going to rename the file. Sometimes clicking the desktop will deselect the file but often it won't or it will reselect the file. It's more of a nuisance than anything.

In any case if anyone has any possible solutions or can point me to a simple guide I would be appreciative. I have done lots of searching but it's been difficult to find an answer.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

haerik

haerik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Keith,

Thank you for the reply. I can't find my XP Home CD from the OEM DELL but I have a XP Professional CD, is it possible for me to use the Professional version to pull the files I need? I am suspecting it could cause problems and so I may need to wait to try a fix. Thanks again for the quick response!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it without the CD to see if it asks for it, which should only happen if it needs to replace files

If it runs right through until the bar goes then it may be something to do with Luna Themes

Windows will only replace the files from the same version XP CD as you have installed