Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Running games from Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Jo Franklin

Jo Franklin

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Having a laptop powerful enough to play all my favourite games anywhere, anytime is fantastic. It's certainly an upgrade from the Game Boy in terms of portable gaming!

One thing which annoys me about this, however, is having to carry all the game discs around with me. Is there a way I can transfer data from the CDs to the Hard Drive to avoid this problem? There ae only 2 games in particular which I want to do this with.

1) Icewind Dale (Unexpanded with all "recent" patches)

The IWD installation directory is 1.5gb in size, meaning that all data from the installation CDs must be there somewhere, but when I run it it demands CD2 (despite the fact the "CD2" directory contains files and folders identical to those found on CD2). Is there a workaround for this?

2) Baldurs Gate 2 (With SoA expansion)

Same thing here, asks for expansion CD (Even though during installation I requested that it run completely from hard drive)

I would maybe like to do the same for B&W 1+2, but that may be too much for my relatively small HDD (60GB)

Thanks.

Edited by Jo Franklin, 01 January 2006 - 06:53 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
not legeally. at somepoint they will patch the game and remove the cd check, but they do that to prevent illegeal game distribution and piracy.