Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton Antivirus ruined my holidays

• Please log in to reply

munmun

munmun

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone. I need advice and help. First my computer specs:

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB Ram, Windows XP, soundcard M-Audio Delta 2496, audio software Sonar HS XL and Musicmatch.

Over the holidays I needed to renew my NAV subscription and upgraded to their Norton Internet Security product with anti spam, anti spyare, etc. Since installation, I cannot play back music through regular MP3 players (i.e. small sized MP3's), or Sonar HS without pops and cracks. I have tried the following to rectify the situation:

- have removed Norton and asked for my money back.
- have defragged.
- have retuned XP for optimal performance.
- have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions from M-Audio on their website.
- have physically taken soundcard out and reinstalled.

None of this has helped my situation. I am trying to mix a song at the moment. The song seems to play better second time round. It is almost as though pops and cracks are improved once the song is stored in RAM (not sure about this).

Anyway I am deeply frustrated and need some advice. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try using a restore point to go back to a date before the software was installed to see if that helps.

Rick

munmun

munmun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. Where do I find restore points and does it matter that I actually uninstalled the soundcard physically?

Hi,

Try using a restore point to go back to a date before the software was installed to see if that helps.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Goto start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and follow the instructions, then pick a date before norton was installed.

it should not hurt that the sound card was removed.

This will not change your user data just restore windows to the way it was before installing norton

munmun

munmun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wow! I restored the system and got the soundcard to work. But now another problem. In Internet Explorer (version 6) some buttons and links are not working. When I point the mouse at the buttons in question, Explorer says something about Javascript at the bottom however the button is totally unresponsive. I have tried to enable Javascript to no avail. Even with Javascript enabled in the tools menu, certain websites are saying that my Java is not enabled. I am very confused. Anyone know what I shoud do?

Goto start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and follow the instructions, then pick a date before norton was installed.

it should not hurt that the sound card was removed.

This will not change your user data just restore windows to the way it was before installing norton

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am going to have another tech take a look at this

munmun

munmun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THabks I got it to work by reinstalling Javascript.

I am going to have another tech take a look at this