Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformating a computer but hard drives not found

• Please log in to reply

angelbabe1k

angelbabe1k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi ive got a computer which is only a year old and is for gaming on but its completely ruined and stuf fnot virus but i think from where my family have used it its completely ruined. anyway i need to reformat it because its need to be compeltely wiped clean ive done everything possible other than reformat it but its the only thing left.

But when i try to reformat the set up cannot find the hard drives to reformat the computer so what should i do then to try and get the computer to find the hard drives? :tazz:

it says something like hard drives cannot be found set up cannot continue.

thanks for reading and pleaseeeeeeeee help me. (soon as it sorted im putting a password on it lol)

Edited by angelbabe1k, 01 January 2006 - 10:12 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need more details. If the drives are SATA drives, then you will need to press F6 when prompted, otherwise the windows setup won't see the drives. Likewise if they are on a RAID.

But this is all pure speculation at the moment. What make of computer is it?

angelbabe1k

angelbabe1k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the drives are sata and the computer is made by tiny

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Thought as much.

You'll have to work out which type of board it is (MSI, ECS, Asus, etc) and go to that website to download a SATA driver for it and use that to get back into Windows Setup.

I presume you don't have any sort of System Restore disks or anything like that? Or was it all on the hard disk? Try rebooting and bashing each of the F keys across the top of the keyboard while the logo is on to see if they do anything. F1 and/or F2 will usually take you into Setup.

Failing this, when the system starts, there may be an option to take it into the recovery console or into XP. If available, use that.