Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unauthorized internet usage

• Please log in to reply

swindtalker

swindtalker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I work in a company where only supervisors are authorized unlimited access to the internet. I had an employee use an AOL disc to get around some of the safe guards we had in place. Do you know of a way to get the AOL programs off the computer without going through the hoops AOL can put you through? Some of our programs we use are internet based so we do need limited access to the internet. Can you think of a way to prevent this from happening again? Thankyou. Sincerely swindtalker. :tazz:

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Swindtalker, Welcome to Geeks to Go!!

I am not aware of a way, AOL is a pretty sneaky and sometimes very annoying program, i personnaly do not know of a way to stop user from using it. the only thing i can think of, which i am sure you already do, is to just monitor the users activity. i am sorry i can not be more helpful.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello, this might help i'm not sure because i couldn't read deep into the web site to c what it was saying because i have to go now. But give it a look http://nscsysop.hype...et/no_chat.html. Hope it helps i'll look around later when i have more time if this doesn't help you out.
thanx
James

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Use your gpedit if you have XP Pro, or use your firewall to block AOL.

Johanna

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol ya that would work top

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...does your company have a proxy server? does everyone in the company need access to the internet?