Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager missing - all audio missing

• Please log in to reply

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Device manager is blank - no audio devices. I have a Cybertron with Windows XP SP2 - Athlon Semtron 2300+ 512K Ram. AMI 8/27/04. A friend thought he could fix the echo in my speakers but when he started messing with my computer he said the computer started dumping files, it told him to restart and now I have no audio devices and my device manager is blank. Can you please help me? :)

Edited by desireerandolph, 01 January 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi desireerandolph!

Please go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between SFC and /SCANNOW. This will run the built-in System File Checker, which will check your operating system files to see if any are missing/corrupt. If it finds any, you may be asked to insert your Windows XP CD. Do so if so asked. Once the blue bar has gone away reboot your computer and post back how things are going and we will continue from there.

Fenor

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I already did that, but I don't have the CD because I bought my computer from a friend and they didn't send the CD with it. But I do know it's legit, it was purchased, not pirated, however, the computer was at someone elses house before I got it and I'm not sure I will be able to get the CD, the guy that had it had only set it up and then she decided she didn't want it so he was trying to sell it for her. Is there anything else I can do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So when you go to the device manager it's completely empty? Nothing is listed at all?

Fenor

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Correct - completely empty

Edited by desireerandolph, 01 January 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\devicemanagerrestore.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and see if the device manager is now populated.

Fenor

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did what you suggested but it didn't change anything. I hope you have another suggestion.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please be careful as the following steps involve editing registry settings. Editing the registry can be dangerous, and you should only continue with this step if you feel totally comfortable with this risk.

Start > Run, type in regedit
Click on file > export. Select a location in the Save in section that will be easy to locate(such as your c: drive), put "BACKUP" in the file name section, make sure the all radio button is selected in the "Export Range section. then click save.
This will make a back up of your registry so that you can restore it if something goes wrong

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrenControlSet/Enum
Highlight Enum
Right click and select Permissions
See if System is listed and has Read & Full Control checked
If not :
Click on Add, Choose SYSTEM from list, click on Add, Click on OK
Click on OK
Reboot!

Also this is another alternative:from MS Q311504 <http://support.micro...b;en-us;311504>

Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and then click OK
Double-click Plug and Play
If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK
In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK
Close Services.
Restart the computer.

If the above steps do not work then Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum with "POSSIBLE ROOTKIT" in the title.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Fenor

desireerandolph

desireerandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunately none of that helped, so I will go to the malware forum, but what do you mean "in my signature"? How do I even get a hijackthis log?

Edited by desireerandolph, 01 January 2006 - 12:50 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go HERE and read and do what it says. It will allow you to run tools that will help you clean up alot of the problems on your own and it will also tell you how to download, install and use HijackThis and how to post a log in the Malware forum.

Fenor