Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem booting from boot disk

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm having a baffling problem and it's got me stumped. I installed a different HDD in my computer and intend to install XP Home Edition on it however the computer will only boot to the BIOS page then stop. I have gone into BIOS and changed the startup sequence to every conceivable combination but the drives light up monenarily and the floppy drive buzzes but they don't boot from the Windows installation disk or an emergency startup floppy. I put the old HDD back in and the XP OS starts up normally but when I put the floppy or the installation disk in the computer ignores them and boots from the HDD. Any idea why the computer is not booting from the emergency floppy or the Windows installation disk? Is there any other way to boot up the Windows installation disk so I can format the new HDD and install XP? The new HDD was in one of my other computers and does have data on it but the computer does not boot from it. When I install it as a slave drive to my old HDD the computer again stops at the BIOS screen and will not proceed. The new HDD worked fine in the other computer and has another version of XP Home Ed. on it. Could that be causing the problem? Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you switch the jumper on the drive itself? For example, set it as master or single (don't use cable select).