Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TuneUp Utilities 2006 Question

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations about this utility software??? I have Registry Mechanic ver. 5.x, and I have thought it has been doing a great job. Then I downloaded the trial version of TuneUp Utilities 2006, and ran it's registry cleaner and it came up with 200 invalid or empty registry keys for deletion. I fell off my chair. I didn't delete anything, but I was extremely shocked that my Registry Mechanic didn't pick these up.....

Any thoughts on this new software??????Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I like it, but then they gave it to me for Beta Testing and sent the product key at the end of it

Tune Up 2004 is the only trial version of any programme I have used that I have gone on to purchase, they are comfortable with you installing it on any PC you use, without having to buy multiple licences

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for your response, Keith. TuneUp Utility 2006 has had nothing but great reviews from every web page that I Googled. The part that I find a little distressing is that it picked up so many Registry values for deletion, while my Registry Mechanic has missed all of these. I will be the first to say, I know very little about Windows Registry, and therefore I am hesitant to make all of the changes that TuneUp Utilities 2006 has recommended.

Having only used the 2004 version, which I also read nothing but great reviews, would you be comfortable following all of the utility's recommendations? 200 Registry keys for deletion??? Either Registry Mechanic is not the almighty product that I thought it was, or TuneUp is insane. Obviously, with such a wide discrepency, one of the software is way off base and not worth its expectations.

I guess what I am really getting at is, do you think TuneUp is to be trusted and Registry Mechanic worthless? TuneUp had made a great deal of recommendations to improve my computer aside from the Registry deletes.

I'm just trying to pick someone's brain who has a much better knowledge of Windows Registry than myself. Thank you for any advice or input you can provide me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have had Tune Up 2006 since testing all the beta versions, which I did for TuneUp in Germany, at the end of the testing, they gave me a product key

If you install it at the default setting, it will back up any changes it makes

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It sounds like you have faith in TuneUp, so I will give it a try. Thanks for the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is how it backs up and you just press a button to undo any or all

[attachment=5508:attachment]

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay, my friend. I have faith in ye, so let the deleting begin.........Let's hope I don't have a system crash. If you don't hear from me for a few days, assume the worst, lol......

Thank you again for taking time out to give me your advice. It is much appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can set a restore point first

Also try this, emergency recovery utility NT

http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

Use the registry back up which will be a safeguard, create a folder in my documents, then change the save to location as the new folder, it should date them so you can restore them easily, it will usually be the most recent which needs restoring, if any

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks, Keith. I really do appreciate the help. The link for the Registry backup makes me feel a lot safer....Thanks again