Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my computer...Crashing/Freezing

• Please log in to reply

NatureOfOmega

NatureOfOmega

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello to all who read this, I have been having problems with my computer for two years now.... Not until recently have I really bothered to try and fix it, as to why that is, I don't know, but I am tired of having restart computer every time I get the Blue Screen of Death or because it competely locks up/freezes.

When I do receive the "Blue Messages" they are usually IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something about PGN_FILE_LIST_CORRUPT.

Then other times my computer will just lockup, and I have to manually restart the thing.

My specs are:
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Pentium III 550Mhz - x86 architecture
256MB SDRAM located on Dimm0
Sony DRU-810A DVD Burner
80GB Western Digital HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 5500 with 256MB DDRam and a 277Mhz GPU
Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit
USB PCI 2.0 Card, don't remeber brand name

I think that is a enough to get my computer...

Anyways, I have had older parts in this computer and have replaced parts: RAM,DVD Burner (from CD Burner), HDD, Video Card, Sound Card, and the Modem. And I have still expeirced the same problem from my computer... In fact I have replaced everything in it cut short of the motherboard, processor, and the power supply.
So is there anyone who may be able to help me with this problem or whom themselves have had problems similar to this, please reply.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you considered the page file as a possible cause of the problem? I did a google search and came up with a couple of items you may want to read. See
http://www.google.co...G=Google Search
Check out the first three hits.

NatureOfOmega

NatureOfOmega

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ummm, my paging file was turned off long ago. I've formatted my computer countless times and I've even had a new HDD installed, I really don't think that is the problem because it is very unlikely that several fresh copies of Windows XP would have the problem. I think it has to be hardware related.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Well, it could be hardware. It could be that you turned of the page file too. Take a look at this information (credit The Elder Geek): http://www.theelderg...paging_file.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the irq_less_than yadda yadda yadda...is generally a misconfigured driver (often times the video card)....was the video card the last item upgraded before the problem occurred?

and...as far as the pagefile..i'm with austin...not a good idea to run a machine with it turned off...i didn't know you could even turn off the paging system...