Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not always loading

• Please log in to reply

Grantax

Grantax

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Almost every time I start the computer, the harddrive starts to tick when it reaches the black screen with the windows logo and the loading bar. (The ticking doesn't always start immediately when that screen comes, maybe after 3 seconds)
Then the loading bar starts moving slowly, and the loading takes about 5-10 seconds more than usual. (Usual is about 3 seconds)
After windows has loaded, the harddrive stops ticking.

I'm using the little windows where I have to enter the username and password to log in. (doubt it has anything to do with it)
Then, when I log in, about 4 out of 5 times, the line at the bottom (the one with the start button on) does not show, and neither does the desktop shortcuts. Only the desktop background. :S
I've waited about 30 seconds, nothing happends, so I have to start the computer over and over until it loads.

So I've got 2 problems, but I guess source of the problem is the name.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. First, I think it is a good idea to investigate the ticking hard drive. Run the manufacturers diagnostics on it. If you don't have that, go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 and see the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There are links to most hard drive manufacturers diagnositcs.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I forgot to mention that I've already done that.
The tests ran for about 3 hours, and there were no errors..

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you checked for malware/virus? See the guide at http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm using ZoneAlarm firewall, and I've checked with Ad-Aware SE Pro and NOD32 Eset Antivirus (I do every third day)

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you looked at the event log for any clues? Go to my computer, right click manage and view the event log. This may or may not have any associated with the attempted boot and then restart, but worth checking. Ticking hd is not normal. What brand hd is this, and did you use that manufacturers diagnostics on it?

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I found the logs now, shall I just looks for all the errors? (Red Icons)

Yes, I've used the dianostic tools, and it said that there was nothing wrong.

Edit: Ok, I've got a lot of errors, and many of the same (I also found something else that I was looking for, which will be mentioned in a new thread soon =D)

Warnings and Errors:
Found an error on device \Device\Harddisk0\D under a paging operation.
Notes: There are several error of this (21 within 3 seconds). I had to translate, not sure the "paging opeartion" is right. :tazz:
The error is found several places, about 10-20 errors each place, took place in 2-3 seconds.

The Device \Device\CdRom0 has a bad block.
Notes: It's a NEC DVD Recorder

The main seeker has recieved a servermessage from the computer *CENSORED* who think it is main seeker in the domain Net_BT_Tcpip_{CEFB9A94-CC26-474F-BE. The main seeker stops, or a choice is forced through.

Ok, nr 1 is something with the harddrive
nr 2: something I'd like to know what means
nr 3: I'd like to know what it means, because I've always suspected virus' from that computer.

Edited by Grantax, 05 January 2006 - 11:17 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try cleaning up the suspected malware first. The link is in my first post or to to the top of the forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware infection (Spyware, Virus, Trojan, Rootkit)? Please Start Here. When finished, How did I get infected...? "

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I've now bought a new harddrive, and first, I thought the computer worked this time, but then, after the 6th restart:
The windows loading went fine now, but after that, the screen turned black, and the harddrive started to tick, I think the ticks were much louder this time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so the new hd ticks as well?!?!? and now doesn't load windows? could you try a new ide cable?...it may be the ide controller on the motherboard...is this machine still under warranty?

Advertisements

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

so the new hd ticks as well?!?!? and now doesn't load windows? could you try a new ide cable?...it may be the ide controller on the motherboard...is this machine still under warranty?

I don't know if windows loads, because I turn it right off when It starts ticking.
I have a Samsung Spinpoint P120S (SATA)..
The machine is still under warranty.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds very awkward...there are a few causes for hd ticking...and they all depend on the tick...of course there's the good old "read/write head came loose"...same head just coming in contact with the platter...thrashing (which is caused by too small amount of ram...which means that that wouldn't happen during boot)...and other random hd failures....but...i would be inclined not to suspect two drives to have this problem at once...just...well..not likely..it's possible...but not likely.. if the cable or the controller failed...it could be causing a thrashing incident or something of the like....have you tried other sata cables and or controllers on the mobo?

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I've used the same SATA cable for both harddrives, [whine]but usually I'm unlucky with everything, and there's no way to fix it. I doubt I will ever get a working computer.[/whine]

Do you think that letting it tick, without turning off the power damages the harddrive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it depends on what's causing the tick....are you sure the tick is in the hd?

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I've used the same SATA cable for both harddrives, [whine]but usually I'm unlucky with everything, and there's no way to fix it. I doubt I will ever get a working computer.[/whine]

Do you think that letting it tick, without turning off the power damages the harddrive?

Edit: I doubt it has anything to do with it, but something in my computer is making a sound like a fan JUST hitting something very light. I can hardly hear the sound, and I don't see anything, but I think it's the cpu fan, what can it be?

Edited by Grantax, 03 February 2006 - 11:58 AM.