Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not always loading

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your fan may be brushing up against a cable or there might be something stuck in it...

Advertisements

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm 95% sure the tick is coming from the hd.
If I'm wrong, I've wasted money sending the first mentioned hd back. (I will know If that was a mistake on monday)

I've put my ear right beside it, and I'm pretty sure it's the harddrive, If I shake the computer (Tip it to a side) the ticking becomes less frequent, because I guess a part is slightly moved because of the pressure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
abuh-wha?!?...oooookkk... first drive was ticking...tilt the machine to one side or another...ticking...sort of stops...put a completely different drive in...same scenario? sounds like you somehow got two bad drives?

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Maybe I did...
But If I'm lucky it's just the cable... or the motherboard.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe i would prefer the cable or the drive to the motherboard

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
This is just a thought....First off....I've never run into a hard drive that ticked....and wasn't bad. If it ticks....it's definately bad. Second....SATA are prone to failure I've noticed. Third.....I noticed in your skan it said your CD drive had an error...CD drives can also tick, even when there is no CD in them. Have you tried checking that drive? Sounds more likely if your machine stops ticking when you tilt it that it's the CD drive....but....it's just a shot in the dark. It's probably the HD, but wouldn't it be nice if it was something cheaper? *laughs*

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Why does windows stop loading while it's ticking then?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I don't know. I do know that bad CD drives have an adverse affect on the entire system. Why that is I don't know, but I have replaced drives and systems suddenly cured themselves of problems like this. But like I said.....My money is on the hard drives both being bad. I'm not a fan of SATA's reliability for this reason.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok... I've burned cd's with my dvd-recorder, so it works fine that way.
But It was a really cheap dvd-recorder (about.... $50).

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Maybe it just went bad? Viruses and Malware have been known to knock out CD drives of all shapes and sizes. Just unplug it to test and see. If it goes faster or no clicking.....you're golden. Get a new one. IF not...*shrugs* Then it was someone else's ideas

Advertisements

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well, the thing that ticks only ticks about 1 out of 4 times, but how can I be sure that it's the CD ROM if I disconnect it...
As I said before windows says something about "Bad Block" on the dvd-recorder...

I will actually wait until monday, when I get the answer from the company I returned my harddrive to... (Was it damaged or not)

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well see....here's the thing. If you unplug the CD drive. And there is no ticking and you boot into windows and everything works wonderfully.....say....ALL out of four times. Then your problem is solved. Being a repair tech I'm experienced enough to know that the minute you try to get someone to fix it...take it to them and plug it in with a complaint....it doesn't appear as wrong. *laughs* I know you have to keep at it for a few hours and restart it several times sometime. *shrugs* But as I said....it's worth a shot...just in case. Be cheaper then a new HD again....

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok, I'll try the next time I have to restart the computer.
But I play bf2, and I need a cd rom to do that. :S

Edit: What I am going to do is to unscrew the cd rom and put in on the top of my cabinet, but still connected to the motherboard and powersupply. Then I can easily hear if that's the thing making the ticking sound.

Edited by Grantax, 03 February 2006 - 01:49 PM.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Ok, I'll try the next time I have to restart the computer.
But I play bf2, and I need a cd rom to do that. :S

Edit: What I am going to do is to unscrew the cd rom and put in on the top of my cabinet, but still connected to the motherboard and powersupply. Then I can easily hear if that's the thing making the ticking sound.

That works. Or install another CD drive to play your game with....or better yet....mount an image of your game so you don't need the CD to play anymore.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok, I tested it, now I'm sure it's not the cd rom.
I also got rid of the fan sound.. (A cable lying into a cooling "brick" on the motherboard)

So... I tried another sata cable, still ticks.
The only thing I can hope for, is that the new harddrive is also damaged.
I will get the answer on monday, as I said before..