Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hey Hi... :tazz: I dunno if um in the right place to ask but there's just too many places...lol..so if um in the wrong place,can someone be kind enogh to tell me where to ask ?!!
the question is....i have a geforce 4 mx 440 64 MB...and man is that old...lol
well i wanna buy a new graphics card that wud squeeze me through high graphics games the next couple of years but leave me able to buy food that period of time...lol
and by high graphics games i mean battlefield 2 on top of the list...

Advertisements

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
If your motherboard supports AGP then an Ati radeon x800 series card would be good. games like battlefeild 2 depend on more then just your GPU. what kind of processor do you have? you should also have 1gb of ram.

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well,my system is high (not that kinda high,lol)...processor 2.4 GBs 512 RAM which i'll upgrade to 1 GB along with buying the card...
if i were to chose from the geforce cards...any suggestions...?!!
(i live in egypt where there's no variety of graphics cards)

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
And i've read that new games requires pixel shader version 1.4

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
from geforce i would say something like a BFG 6800. which is the best AGP card your going to get from Nvidia. ( i dont think the 7800 has an agp version)

anyway, do you know if your processor is AMD or intel? and it would help also if i knew wheather or not your motherboard supports AGP.

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
well my processor is intel ...about the AGP,i dunnooo...loool...but the location of my current graphics card is PCI bus 1 ...relative ??

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
do you know what motherboard you have exactly? because its very important to know if it supports AGP or not. i doubt it does since you seem to have a PCI card, but you never know. if you have no idea which motherboard you have

download this and it will tell you

http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Motherboard Name MSI 848P Neo-V (MS-6788)
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP
so i DO have AGP...so still wut card shud i get...a medium cost one...

darkforce2002

darkforce2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Motherboard Name MSI 848P Neo-V (MS-6788)
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP
so i DO have AGP...so still wut card shud i get...a medium cost one...and which is better and more commonn,PCI or AGP ??

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
awsome thats a good thing that you have agp. now as far as a graphics card goes you can get an ati radeon x850 pro (what i currently have and [bleep] its nice) for about 350$ canadian, im not sure how much that would be for you though. thats a really nice card. if you wanted to save some money you could downgrade to a 700 series. as far as nvidia goes a BFG 6800 would be very nice aswell. its your choice ATi or Nvidia. if the cards i listed are way out of your price range then a ATi radeon 9800 would be next on the list. the Nvidia choice would be maybe a BFG 6600.

Edited by operation ivy, 01 January 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have had 2 different video cards a 128 mb nvidia and a 256 mb ati and i honeslty like the nividias better then ATI, they run smoother for me atleast and im actually buying one within a week but thats a pci express one its the GeForce 6800 gs 256mb.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Totally depends on the cards and the games you play what settings you have and the games you play, Nvidia also dont have true AA so 8x AA on an ATI takes more power to run and is better quality than it is on any nvidia card. But it does totally depend on the card and what you are doing.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
On a medium budget I recomend a 6600 GT, I ran everything on medium on my old system on BF2, but I had 1.5 GB of RAM and a AMD 3400

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dunno about a 6600GT they arent very good considering how expensive they are, in that price range though the ATI cards are much better there is much more choice as well.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
In the US a 6600 GT costs in the range of 120 up, x800 GTos over 150 up, 9800 cost the same as 6600 GTs and often more but dont have comparable performance .....but who knows what pricing is in Egypt. Also u seemed to forget that he implicated selection is slim in Egypt (more nVidia but not enought ATI)