Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Weirdness

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, last night I tried to do a simple overclocking of my friend's computer (Athlon 64 3200+ 2.1GHz), and weird stuff happened...
First, we set the AGP bus frequency from 66 to 67, the LDT Multiplier from Auto to 5.0x, and the other multiplier (whose name I can never remember for the life of me, sorry lol) to 20x, and rebooted the computer to check the temperature. It hadn't moved at all from ~49-51ēC, so we started stepping the FSB (or HTT, whatever) frequency up by two at a time, starting from the default of 200. When we got up to 230 or so and the temperature was still the same, we started moving in steps of 5. We got all the way up to 300 and still the same CPU temperature, and the CPU fan actually appeared to have lowered its average RPMs. So I changed the AGP bus to 68 and rebooted, that time the computer overheated before we could get to the BIOS, so we had to actually go get a fan and take the side of the computer off to get back in, which scared my friend shitless that it had broken the computer. So we decided to put the AGP back down to 67, the FSB back down to 250, and the multipliers where they were (5x and 20x) and be done with it for now. So after applying the changes, the computer just froze when it got to the first startup screen where you would normally hit delete to get to the BIOS, even with the fan blowing into the side. We turned it off and let it cool for 10 minutes with the fan on, and still it did that. We ended up having to mess with the little reset CMOS settings switch on the mobo and put everything back to where it was originally...

Anybody know what in the world happened?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You didnt know what you were doing and tried to overclock a system without knowing how to overclock.

You also shouldnt be overclocking a system that gets idle temps in the 49-51C range which is a borderline temperature problem, and opening up a case and using a fan doesnt actually help.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
youre not really supposed to mess with the AGP bus...

no real performance gains.

51C is almost intel temperatures. my 3500+ stays at 27C and never gets above 40C load. I wouldnt have touched it as far as overclocking. No offense, but I would have been scared shitless too.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
How come his proc was that temp when he first got it then...? And AMD says the processors are safe up to 70ēC
Does he need more fans or something its a sort of cheapish case....
AGP thing they said keep between 67 and 68 and it was 66 so yeah i just left it at 67 mostly.

Edited by W-Unit, 02 January 2006 - 02:26 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They probably didnt put on the HSF well and if its bought they probably got the HSF units and the cpu seperatley and its not the proper AMD heatsink or its an older model, the HSF you get from the retail box is a good one with good thermal material its why they cost more.

And you really shouldnt touch AGP or PCI-e bus speed.

And if an AMD processor is running at anyhting above 60 its going to probably go above 70 under load and seriously cut into its lifetime. And i would be bricking it if my cpu went anywhere near 60 i brick it when it goes above 45.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
If you dont know what you are doing i dont think you should even try overclocking because i know some people who have messed up there pcs big time doing it.