Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DSL keeps dropping connection

• Please log in to reply

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a high speed DSL account with Bell Sympatico which I have going through a D Link DI-808HV 8 port router. I have 5 computers on a home network. All computers are running Windows XP Pro. Until recently, I had a 4 port SMC Barricade router and a D Link switch, but wife kept complaining about her connection breaking off...she plays that Toontown online game, which needs a steady connection apparently. My daughter upstairs also plays this game, some of the time at the same time as wife....youngest daughter is on Habbo Hotel alot, my son downloads tunes alot...so its a very busy little network for sure. Well, since I put the new D Link router on the system (wife was soooo sure that just having the extra ports instead of running the switch was the answer) the connection is breaking off more and more often... I notice it cuz msn messenger signs in and out almost every 5 minutes....I remember a tidbit from somewhere one time about cloning the mac addresses of all the computers so that it appears to Sympatico that it is only one computer not 5...but would this not confuse the router then when it is directing infomation packets?? Any suggestions on how to improve my connection would be appreciated...cuz not sure what to do now....get another line installed and have dsl on it as well?

The wife don't seem to have many probs with her connection when son is not doing any downloading..could it be that we are reaching our bandwidth limit and their is nothing we can do about it? Is there a way to check how much bandwidth we have and how much of it we are actually using?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Black Blade,

If you're running Windows XP SP2, then it is possible that you're exceeding the maximum number of TCP/IP connections. Please goto Start, Run, type EVENTVWR, and press 'OK'. Look under the System logs for the following error:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If you find this error, then please do the following:
Download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 50). Then restart your computer. Test your connection.

If you're still having problems, please do the following:(it will be best if you do this when you're experiencing the frequent disconnects)
Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING YAHOO.COM - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: netstat -rn and press enter; please post the results here.

Thanks,
Dan.

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i did the event viewer...and there are lots of errors but not of the one you suggest...but there are a few warning symbols that have that message about the limit on concurrent connects. I attempted to get that patch, but it did not download for me...just sort of hung there...I am also gonna try and replace as many phone line filters as I can...for the connection seems to break when the phone rings, so it may be just a bad filter.

I was on the phone with Sympatico and they ran diagnostics on the line and modem and it seems fine...a little fluctuations when the two other phones were connected upstairs, but it stabilized. They had a promo for Ultra High Speed which is 5Mb max bandwidth instead of our current 3 Mb, so maybe that will help...it comes with a modem router they are pushing now, which has 4 wired ports and is wireless as well. I am not all that thrilled with the wireless, for have hear lots of people having problems, but apparently you can just use the wired and disable the wireless function. We'll see how it goes when it arrives....

Edited by Black Blade, 02 January 2006 - 05:58 PM.

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I managed to get that patch and ran it, but should I run it on all the computers on the network?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Yes please.