Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spinning DHCP curser during boot and event log stuff

• Please log in to reply

jjsant

jjsant

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Gateway 510 with 3.06ghz P4 Hyperthreading Dual Channel running XP with SP2. 512megs ram and 120GB WD HDD.

I moved in June and had to stop using my "shark fin" cable modem that I own since Comcast NJ said they don’t support it. I was on Cablevision previously with the shark fin. I’m using a rental cable modem from Comcast that works fine. Unfortunately I was not home when Comcast installed the new modem/connection.

Since then when I boot I see “Intel Boot Agent” related text listed twice. Under that is a “MAC ADDRESS” string involving DHCP with a curser that spins around waiting for some sort of connection to occur? When it times out (or I escape) it says “exiting….” and proceeds to boot.

In the event log I get numerous errors related to DHCP and ipnathlp. They go on and on but sometimes say something like "won't try anymore since the maximum number of attempts has been reached."

Here are some typical ones:

Dhcp
Error
The IP address lease 69.141.87.15 for the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.100.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Dhcp
Warning
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Dhcp
Error
Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.100.2 on the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E.

Dhcp
Error
The IP address lease 192.168.100.2 for the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.100.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Ipnathlp
Error
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

These postings occur regardless of whether I have the new cable modem turned “on.” It’s always plugged into the PC and physically connected to the cable. I only see one Network Adapter in the Device Manager: “Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection on PCI bus 1, device 8, function 0.” There is only one networking card in the PC in a PCI slot. I’m almost certain it is the factory installed one. PC is 2 years old.

In the Local Area Connections I see the following checked:

Client for MS Networks
QoS Packer Scheduler MS Networks
File and Printer sharing for
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

In the Explorer I see the following in the Entire Network subfolder:

MS Terminal Services
MS Windows Network
Web Client Network

This is not a PC that is connected to any other PCs or separate “servers.” No wireless. I’d like to fix this to keep the event log clean even though my actual internet connection always works. I had been having disk problems and I want to be able to isolate that problem better if it comes back.

I ran the diagnostics in the “program” that I can open in the Control Panel for the “Intel Pro Set.” It shows that all tests passed. The Ethernet address in that program matches the 000CF1AE2C7E address in the error logs. However, the IP address does not. The “program” shows 69.141.87.15 whereas the error logs often refer to IP address 192.168.100.2 (see above.)

I have never understood IP addresses and such but I’m guessing that maybe the computer still trying to connect to the old modem? I don’t know how to determine that especially since the cable modem is not a “device” nor “hardware” to the PC, right?

I’d appreciate any help greatly.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello jjsant,
If you aren't experiencing any actual loss of Internet connection, then it could simply be a matter of your previous configuration not being removed properly.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing Ctrl+C, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.

jjsant

jjsant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Dan

I ran the program but the (dos looking) window closes right after it opens. I see the program in a few folders (C:\winnt\system32 C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\386 C:\winnt\system32\dllcache) but the same thing happens if I run any of those directly.

I have the old 3com installation rom for the old cable modem. I don't see an "uninstall" file on it. I was afraid to click "next" on the install window that came up when I inserted it just now. I may try disconnecting the current cable modem and running the old rom to see if it has an uninstaller.

Let me know the next step and thanx for helping.

Edited by jjsant, 02 January 2006 - 10:06 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't do start > run > ipconfig /all....do start > run > cmd...that should open up your command prompt...once that is open...do ipconfig /all

jjsant

jjsant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OOPS. Here you go:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JohnBlackPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.nj.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.nj.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-AE-2C-7E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.141.87.15
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.141.86.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.64.13
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.64.146
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 02, 2006 10:16:51 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:15:22 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi jjsant,

Sorry, but I was meant to ask you to do this in my first post:

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

However, your current setup looks fine. This does sound like a misconfiguration.

don't do start > run > ipconfig /all....do start > run > cmd...that should open up your command prompt...once that is open...do ipconfig /all

Thanks dsenette :tazz:

Please post those results;
Thanks,
Dan.

jjsant

jjsant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Dan

I followed the steps and everything passed. Don't know what to do now. BTW it does stop hitting the event log after some time

I have a service running related to Citrix which is software I use to log in to the server at work when needed. The "server number" is not any of the numbers I'm seeing in the error log. The PDF says it's an "ICA" connection. I know basically nothing about networking so not sure if that means anything.

I am able to see 2 mentions of the 192.168.100.1 DHCP server in the registry. That's the reference# in the error messages in the event log. The only "DHCPServer" listed in the test results (passed) is 68.87.64.13 Does that mean anything?

I greatly appreciate your help attacking this. Is there more I can do?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
jjsant,

Can you please confirm something for me:
You are not attempting to connect through a router - you're simply trying to connect directly into a modem; and there are no other computers on your network.

Have you ever attempted to setup a Static IP Address?

jjsant

jjsant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Dan

No router. I did have a wireless keyboard and mouse up until about a month ago. I uninstalled them and use a normal keyboard and usb mouse now. The error logs go all the way back thru June which is the oldest log month. The log was set to FIFO out the oldest entries so before June 05 is cleared out.

No other computers, just the cable modem for the internet connection. Don't know how to setup a Static IP Address but I'm ready to learn if that's a possible solution.

Thanx

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Just a few more questions:
At your last place, were you on a network (multiple computers) / do you know if you used to recieve the (internal) IP Address 192.168.1.102? From your other posts, it looks to me like you were never even connected through a router... Therefore I don't really see where the IP 192.168.1.102 is coming from.

These postings occur regardless of whether I have the new cable modem turned “on.”

Do you mean they appear every day?

I doubt a static IP would help; seems to me your DHCP server is messed up. However, we might try setting one up a lil' later.

jjsant

jjsant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Dan

At my former house I was unfamiliar with the event log so I don't know if I was getting these error postings. Since I moved in June, I can't see back in the log to check, since the log program was fifo'ing out the oldest posts.

I've never had a router nor any type of real network on this PC. There is a possibility that I connected this PC to the old PC thru a serial port or such but I don't think I did that with this PC. I did that when I bought the last PC but this time I think I mounted the old drive as a slave as the 1st step to transfer the programs and files into a folder on the new drive. I then re-formatted the old drive to remove the OS and use it to backup important data files.

The errors are posted for a significant period of time after every reboot. A group of 2 or 3 every few minutes. They stop after a few hours during a session.

I see in the BIOS that "PXE Boot to LAN" is eabled. PXE is on the boot screen when the curser is spinning. I'm not familiar with PXE but I see this article:

http://support.micro...b/244036/EN-US/

So I turned it off and the spinning curser during boot is gone. Unfortunatley, the postings to the event log keep coming..........

Edited by jjsant, 07 January 2006 - 02:07 PM.