Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking doesn't

• Please log in to reply

dallain

dallain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Win2000 file server system lost it's ability to connect online. I cannot identify any thing that happened to cause this, the server sits in the corner of my office and provides backup storage for the data files on all of the other PCs it seldon get used directly by anyone except to do backups for the file systems to CDs. It is not running Win2000 Server it is running Win2000 Professional. The 60 GB hard drive is partitioned into 8 partitions, the C partition is 5GB for the OS only, another 5GB for backups, and 6 8GB partitions for data storage, one of those partitions has "Program Files" for all of the non-Microsoft software that is installed on the system. I checked the 'status' of the network connection, no transmit or receive packets, from a cmd window pinging itself works fine, cables are ok and still connnected to the router, but can't get DHCP service or ping the router, three other PCs are connected to the router and are working fine. Changed router ports, no change, added a new NIC and disabled the onboard NIC, no change, tested new NIC in another PC, it works great, swapped motherboard for a new one, no change, swaped motherboard back, no change, did a repair reinstall of Win2000, no change. I have run McAfee Anti-Virus scans on all partitions, Spybot :tazz: Search & Destroy, Adaware and HijackThis scans and found nothing. I am reluctant to reformat and begin a scratch install, but I'm out of ideas of what else to look for to fix it short of that. Anybody got any ideas that might be helpful?

Advertisements