Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook - Norton Firewall Conflict

• Please log in to reply

gopi53

gopi53

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I use Outlook 2003 for e-mail. Two days ago I did Norton live update and now have to diable my Norton personal firewall each time I want to send or retrieve e-mail or else I get the following dreaded error message: Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Please let me figure out who I can get around this. Norton isn't much help. They directed me to their Automated Support Assistant site which was more confusing that it's worth.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open NIS and click the firewall configuration, click to check the internet access for programmes, change Outlook and Word to permit all instead of automatic

You may need to reboot for this to take effect

gopi53

gopi53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Keith,
Thanks for your quick response. I did as you suggested but am still having the same problem. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you try to check your Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) e-mail account, the e-mail server may return one of the following error messages:
The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server 0x8004210a
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server 0x800ccc19
CAUSE
This problem has been observed in some configurations that use antivirus software to scan e-mail. The products in which this problem occurs may vary. However, these symptoms have been observed in configurations that include Norton Internet Security 2005, Norton AntiVirus 2003, Norton AntiVirus 2002, or McAfee software products.

http://support.micro...kb/813518/en-us

Situation:
Checking email for problems is one Norton AntiVirus task. Email scanning checks each email. This document gives directions to turn email scanning on or off. The directions are for Norton AntiVirus 2003, 2004, or 2005.

Solution:
To turn on email scanning

Exit any email programs that are running.
Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is installed as part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then start that program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the left pane, click Email.
In the right pane, check Scan incoming Email and Scan outgoing Email (or both).
Click OK.
Close Norton AntiVirus.

To turn off email scanning
Exit any email programs that are running.
Start Norton AntiVirus.
If Norton AntiVirus is installed as part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then start that program.
Click Options.
If you see a menu, click Norton AntiVirus.
In the left pane, click Email.
In the right pane, uncheck Scan incoming Email and Scan outgoing Email (or both).
Click OK.
If you are running Norton AntiVirus 2005, then in the Protection Alert dialog box, on the drop-down menu, click Permanently, and then click OK.
Exit Norton AntiVirus.

http://service1.syma...76?OpenDocument

gopi53

gopi53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Followed those instructions also, but the problem persists.

Looks like Iím either going to have to uninstall Norton and find another antivirus/firewall program or wait for Norton to finally come up with a fix for the problem. In the meantime I'll just continue to periodically turn off my firewall temporarily so that I can send and receive e-mail and reactivate the firewall afterwards. One of the other quirky things about this problem is that if I try to access my mail without first turning off the firewall, I cannot shut down or reboot the computer unless I manually turn it off and turn it back on.

This is rather a nuisance, but Iíll live with it. Thanks for your help, and happy New Year.

trickyg

trickyg

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Just been trying to help someone I know with the same problem, thought I would look on here for the answer !!!

gopi53

gopi53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I finally got this response from Symantec today and got problem fixed by using the first option listed here. Good luck.

If you have not tried restoring the firewall rules and running program scan, then I suggest that you please restore the firewall rules and run program scan in Norton Internet Security(NIS) 2005.

For assistance to do this, please refer to the following document from our Online Knowledge Base:

Title: 'Modifying or restoring the default firewall rules in Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall' Document ID: 2005083015103436
> Web URL: http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

In some cases, this can also happen if default security level in Norton Internet Security(NIS) 2005 is set to high.

So set the default security level and check the issue.

For assistance to do this, please refer to the following document from our Online Knowledge Base:

Title: 'Changing the default security level of Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall'
Document ID: 2003120510271336

If the issue persists, then this can happen if some Norton program files are corrupted.

To fix this, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall Norton Internet Security(NIS) 2005 software.

For assistance to uninstall and reinstall your Norton software, please refer to the following document from our Online Knowledge Base:

Title: 'Removing and reinstalling Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiSpam, or Norton Personal Firewall (2006/2005/2004 versions)'
Document ID: 2004092711224136

Please run program scan after installing Norton Internet Security(NIS) 2005 software.

The Program Scan in Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall searches your hard drive for Internet-enabled programs and displays these programs in a list. You can then select the programs to which you want to apply firewall rules. Firewall rules configure the firewall to permit or not permit an Internet-enabled program to access the Internet.

For assistance to run program scan, please refer to the following document from our Online Knowledge Base:

Title: 'Scanning for Internet-enabled programs in Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall'
Document ID: 2002091708325336
> Web URL:
http://service1.syma...002091708325336
Please let us know if this helped you in resolving the issue. We look forward to hearing from you soon.