Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What should i look for in a case?

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
What should i look for in a case??

Advertisements

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
it depends on what you are building the computer for. If you are building it for gaming and you already know you will need lots of space and room to work with, you should get a full tower. If you occasionally will be opening it, a nice mid tower will do.

dont trust the power supplies that come with cases

Front USB and audio is a must. nearly all cases have this.

post a link to a case you like and I will tell you what I think

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
The third one has a PSU but i will see if can get it without the PSU.

Here is one for $38 CDN :

http://www.everbest....oduct.php?id=14

Here is another one for $59 CDN:

http://www.everbest....duct.php?id=922

Here is another one for $59:

http://www.everbest....uct.php?id=1039

Here is another one for $57. To me this one has it all.

http://pccyber.ca/sc...product_id=7446

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Things to look for in any case:

120mm fans, you want at least one in the case preferably two front and rear.

A removable motherboard tray is a nice thing to have.

More than two bays for your CD and DVD drives, and at least one external bays for your floppy disk or card reader.

Then you want a good sensible 3.5 internal bay arrangement for your hard drives, im a big fan of the way antec do it with the rack sitting across the front saving space and letting air get in about the drives. Removable drive trays are great things to have.

You want a case that looks good but nothing to outlandish as its something you have to live with.

And you want one from a good brand as a good case is an investment and its one of the few parts in the computer that doesnt go out of date within six months, and you can always hack yourself an extra fan port in the side.

Little things like a case lock are nice.

I personally like Antec cases because of the superior build quality and good common sense features, and the fact that they often include amazing quality PSUs in their cases which cost more than the case sometimes and you are basically getting them for free.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I agree with warriorscout Antec's are great. I have an Antech Sonata II and it's amazing. It's silent,cool,and useful everything you need in a case. A bit pricey at 110 but consider it includes a 450 psu it's worth it.

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i would recommend the antec super lanboy..it has great airflow...its soo easy to work with and it looks nice too...what sux it kinda spendy (about 80$ i got it for 66 employess discount :tazz:.. and doesnt come with psu

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I love my lanboy as well, its great, got mine for 55 quid which was cheaper than most of the other cases its compared with, amazon had mine for cheaper than anyone else i would check them out.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
The lanboy is very nice. I was wondering if there is a version of it without a side window or another case you guys recommend without a window but all those features.

thnx

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dunno i think the original lanboy the non super one might not have a window but i love the window its great.

I havent seen one with all the features or another case that weighs as little. Maybe one of the coolermaster centurions like the 530 or 531. You might look on the antec website but i dont think they will have a normal aluminium side for it generally people want to replace those with the window.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I found 2 great cases

Thermaltake Swing VB6000SWS for $87
http://pccyber.ca/sc...duct_types_id=5

Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS for $103
http://pccyber.ca/sc...duct_types_id=5

I will go with one of these

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Check out the p180 from Antec- Hands down the best case ive seen- very nice looking, ULTRA QUIET with minimum fans and superior design- i garuntee you will be very happy with what you bought- it keeps it very cold and quiet :tazz:

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I'm thinking of the Sonata 2 because it already comes with the psu that i was gonna get. So it will save me some money. BTW does that antec SP 450W that comes with it, sufficient for my build:

7800gt
xms 1 gb ram
a8n sli deluxe
1 optical drive
1 HD

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Gladiator, does the sonata II have bright blue led at the front??

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
yeah very bright blue led 2 of them but if you don't like them just unplug them easy as pie. And the 450 watt smartpower is enough for all ur specs. btw the only thing you have to be careful about the case is if you want to add a really big HSF, not that much clearance between a normal board and the PSU. The airt duct design works but sometimes is a hassle to install, and the air filter is great if you work in a dusty environment.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Do u have to open the case to unplug it??