Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware took over my desktop background!

• Please log in to reply

ViNnY777

ViNnY777

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Some spyware took over my background. I don't know how I really got it? Well it was a [bleep] site :tazz: . Here's what the message says:

You're visiting illegal [bleep] sites! FBI knows everything about you right now - all info is logged.. Click here to protect yourself URGENTLY before it's too late. Your IP logged Security risk level: high Your being watched and all your activity is tracked! Your life is in danger! Click here to stop the threat.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download, install and run this

http://grc.com/stm/s...hemessenger.htm

Do you have SP2

ViNnY777

ViNnY777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded it and ran it, it says Messenger Service is Safely Disabled and my desktop background is not still there!!

I think I have SP2

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

ViNnY777

ViNnY777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I typed that in run and it popped up a screen and automatically closes it so fast you can't do anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, command prompt then type it there and press enter

If no change

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

ViNnY777

ViNnY777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I typed it into the Command Prompt and it says...i will show you a screenshot it is much easier than words :tazz:

http://img407.images...eekforum9qm.png

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
sfc /scannow

So you have a space between sfc and /scannow only

The picture show sfc / scannow

ViNnY777

ViNnY777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sfc /scannow i see..Windows File Protection popped up and the blue bar is loading, reboot after it's done?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, hopefully the desktop will be better or you will be able to adjust it

Another thing to do is check the video card drivers are OK