Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Small Issue with Firefox...(Resolved)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

linpagla

linpagla

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,
First of all, wish you all a Very Happy New Year :tazz:

Now coming to the issue: :)
I tried to install a theme called "iFox1.6" for Firefox from the mozilla's site... but due to some problem with their site perhaps, it didn't get installed properly but just got stuck as some incomplete entry as u can see in the attached screenshot:
Themes.jpg

As u can also see from the screenshot, when I click on this theme, the uninstall button also gets grayed out... :)

Can someone pls help me remove this stray entry from the listing... and possibly delete any stray files it might have thrown in some folders...

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Dragon, 04 January 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
from the looks of it, It appears that it is still waiting to be downloaded. I would recommend clicking on the install button and see what happens. Also what version of FF is this on, I do know some of the themes etc.. aren't compatible with FF 1.5

linpagla

linpagla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the interest Dragon....

I'm working with FF 1.5...

Clicking on "Install" button asks me to supply a .jar file... I believe this button is meant for installing themes from the local hard-disk instead of from the net.. It doesn't relate directly to any theme selected on the list.

Moreover this particular theme does work with FF 1.5... I know this because I installed this iFox theme again and it made another entry in the list, it worked as well... then I uninstalled it successfully, but that was another 'entry' which got installed and uninstalled... The entry u can see above here still sticks as it is...

Any other solutions to remove it ??? Maybe some stray files from some folder, or some entry in a config file somewhere, or registry ???

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok, you can give this a try, not sure if it will work or not as I only have one other theme installed on my system.

you will have to search for it since all systems have some differences. click on start>search
next type in the name of the extension you are having prolbems with in the top box, for example i use Black Japan so I would enter black japan in the search box. scroll down until you see More Advanced Options and click on the double arrowed button next to it to drop down more choices. scroll down and select the following:search hidden files and folders
search subfolders

perform the search, this will find the file for you, next right click on the extension name in the right hand window and choose delete. restart your computer, and see if the theme has been removed from your list. if it hasn't let me know, there may be on step left to do.

Edited by Dragon, 03 January 2006 - 09:04 AM.

linpagla

linpagla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:) Sorry, the method simply crashed... Nothing found with the name iFox in the search on my hard-disk...

I even tried searching in the registry... Still no luck...

Any more guesses :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok,
open my computer then up top click on tools>folder options click on the view tab and find show hidden files and folders

next navigate to C:\documents and settings\youraccountname\application data\Mozilla\firefox\profiles\xxxxx.default\extensions

where youraccountname refers to your screen login name and the xxxx equals a random set of numbers and letters. then you will see a bunch of folders with entries like {90452fc-3f89-11da-88de-.....} you will need to go through each one until you find the entry that shows you icons etc.. for ifox. dlete this folder.

if you cannot find a folder that holds the images for your ifox theme, then it is not installed.

linpagla

linpagla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Dragon,
First of all thanks a lot for taking the pain for trying to help me out...

But sorry again :) That didn't work out either... Actually the theme is NOT installed per se... Its just the entry of the same showing up in the themes list window... :)

So first of all we need to find out where exactly this list is built up at... May be a stray entry for this iFox is just lingering around in it... No physical files seem to be present newhere... :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
well this had me stumped but I found the answer at Mozilla.org.

navigate to C:\documents and settings\youraccountname\application data\Mozilla\firefox\profiles
find and delete extensions.rdf

shut ff down, make certain it is really stopped by looking in taskmanager, the file will be rebuilt when ff next restarts

Let me know how this works for you.

linpagla

linpagla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bingo :tazz:

GrrrrEaT Solution Dragon !!! :)

Thaaaaaaanks a LoooooT buddy... :P That annoying stray entry is gone finally... :woot:

Wow what a relief at last :)

Edited by linpagla, 04 January 2006 - 08:01 AM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
glad we got you fixed up.

This topic will now be closed, if you need it reopened please contact a staff member or moderator wiht a link to this topic. If this isn't your topic please start a new topic with your computer problems.