Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computor fails to physicically start up (Intermittant)

• Please log in to reply

Chrisby

Chrisby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computor has started to intermittantly fai lto start up;- Upon pressing the power button on the front, the case lights and system fans, flash and run for approximately 1 second then stop. a second press of the button and nothing happens at all.
If I then press and hold the button for more than 4 seconds (Pwr Off mode), I can then re-try power on but the same thngs happen.
There is a green LED on the motherboard which is lit the whole time.
I have tried removing the mains power and re-applying and this has no effect on the sequence.

After 24-30 hours with themains off, the computor stops sulking and will re-start. The power supply does not feel over hot and is well ventilated.

Any suggestions please before my wife throws it and me out the window.

Many Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you have a bootable windows install cd? Can you boot into safe mode? Press F8 while the machine is starting up for safe mode options. Can you put the windows cd in the cd drive and boot to that? You may have to get into your bios and change the boot order for this to work (unless you already have boot to cd as the first option). One common method to access the bios is to press the del key as the machine starts up. When you reply, post your full system specs as this will better enable folks to try to help you.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for butting in here austin but if the system is only powering up for 1 second before powering off, then I don't think the issue is likely to be the boot device or Windows itself. Therefore, I don't think attempting to boot into safe mode or from a CD is going to help.

Chrisby - austin_o is right about needing your system specs though. If you don't know these of the top of your head, then when you are able to coax the computer to boot fully, you can download & run Everest. This will give you all the info about the system.

Download Everest from this link :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

In particular, could you give us the specs for the CPU, motherboard, RAM, Video & Power Supply. The power supply info will be written on the side of the PSU itself (e.g Manufacturer & power rating in Watts).

Chrisby

Chrisby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response guys..
i've emailed The Everest report to you Samm..
It's runing at the mo.. I had to suffer two days with no AC power to the unit, then it finally came to life.
I'm going to leave it on permanently until is decides to switch off again. Probably when I need to finish an assignment.

Cheers

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for the Everest report, it's been extremely useful.

According to the report, your computer is made by Fujitsu Siemens. Is this correct?
I am assuming you've had this machine since new. In which case, you should have warranty left on it, right?
(Bare with me, there's a very good reason for me asking all this!)

Chrisby

Chrisby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes it is a Fujitsu, It's about six months old and I have not upgraded anything.

It was bought from PC World, i've not contacted them as yet about this as they are generally a waste of space.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats cool.

The reason I asked was this :
I doing a bit of research on your system to see if there were any known issues etc with that motherboard. According to Asus, the first batch of motherboards they produced using the Intel ICH6 (915P) chipset, which yours uses, had a problem which caused it to not boot up.

I've attached the relevant page below for you to read yourself. Had to paste the info into a Word doc as html page wouldn't open correctly after attaching!
If this does turn out to be the cause of your problem, then you would need to return the machine under warranty to have the board replaced. I'd imagine that PC World would the ones to contact, (I realise that thought doesn't exactly inspire confidence) but it may also be worth contacting Fujitsu or Siemens themselves if you don't get any joy with PC World.

Attached File  Asus_p5gd1_motherboards.doc   79KB   33 downloads

Let me know what you think.