Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardware help

• Please log in to reply

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm building a new PC primarily to be used for gaming. I have a few questions about the hardware.

1. What is Firewire
2. What is Crossfire (ATI Video Cards)
3. When speaking in regards to processors what is the purpose/function of L1,L2 Cache?
4. What do I need to look for when buying a Harddrive?
5. What do I need to look for when buying a Motherboard?

Also, can anyone tell me what SATA and P ATA is and what OS I should get XP Home or XP PRO

Thanks so much

Edited by Fox3inbound, 03 January 2006 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the motherboard isnt from one of the more reliable companies, MSI, ABIT or ASUS are the kind of boards you are after, you also dont need an SLI board.

GFX card is a good one it will last a while, hard drive is IDE what you want is a SATA drive SATA is the newer model of the drives and are faster than IDE hard drives like the one you picked.

Memory i would get corsair XMS instead.

The case get a case without a power supply then buy a better power supply seperatley power supplies are important and a good one is essential.

Home is sufficeint i use pro because i like the extra performance edge but it isnt that much really.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
:tazz: Thanks. I didn't see that your replied to my post, so I modified it to ask a few general questions that you already answered. Whats the difference in the RAM that I chose and that you recommended? I also found an ASUS board and a MSI board. Can you tell me which board would be the best to go with (This is the Processor I'm getting, will it work well with either of these boards?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Fox3inbound, 03 January 2006 - 12:53 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the MSI one is a micro atx its smaller than normal ATX over the two the asus but i like the msi atx nf4 board. Crossfire is for having two ATI cards you can have any two cards you need one master card and then another of any crossfire supported card so you can have any two cards as long as they are supported.

I cant remember the other memory, but corsair is the best quality of the ram brands and cheaper than most as well.

The processor i would get the 3700+ insttead save a bit of money and its about as good in speed and will overclock to be much faster without alot of work if you want it to but its fast enough anyway.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for the advice. What Core Processor should I get (San Diego, Venice, Manchester, etc..). Also, can you tell me if the DVD burner's configuration has to be IDE or SATA, or does it matter?

Thanks again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
San diego is the best for the single core as it has the larger cache and can operate at higher frequencies.
Dual core toldeo is the best its the dual core equivalent to the san diego and the manchester is like the venice slower with the lower cache but its cheaper.

IDE and sata dvd drives are really about the same in terms of performance of the drive, really the biggest difference is in the prices, if ones cheaper than the other just get that.

Fox3inbound

Fox3inbound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go ahead with the San Diego 3700. Do you have any suggestions for additional fans, cooling, etc? This is the case i'm going to get.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well tha case only has 80mm fans a new case at that price should have 120mm fans. Cooling a pair of 120mm fans is the nest performing and quietest setup and for extra cooling in the future a good after market hsf from arctic, thermaltake or akasa along with a arctic silencer for the gfx card is always a good later upgrade.