Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device installation problem

• Please log in to reply

roskie 2006

roskie 2006

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Happy New year everyone. It would get my year off to a great start if anyone can help with this problem
When I try to install a new usb device (happened so far with ipod and an xclef which is a mass storage device) the driver wizard returns the following error when it tries to install the driver
"The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name"
I have tried uninstalling via device manager and re-installing, I have also tried deleting anything that looks like a conflict from the registry but to no avail. Its obviously conflicting with something, can anyone suggest what - or a fix of some kind?

Edited by roskie 2006, 02 January 2006 - 05:52 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove all USB leads from the PC

Click start then right click my computer, click hardware then device manager, scroll down to universal serial bus controllers, click the + next to it

Left click an entry to highligh then right click the entry, click remove, confirm

Do this with each entry until they have all been removed, reboot

Plug one USB lead in to check it is recognised, if so, insert another USB lead and check the device and so on

roskie 2006

roskie 2006

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Keith, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes
Ros