Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is It Possible To Have 2 Emails In Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Currently my default email is from my isp's. Is it possible to add another email there such as one from hotmail or yahoo so i can switch around easily through logins.

Also, wads the safest host i could use for email? Gmail, yahoo, hotmail? Or others? Gonna be involvd in paypals with these emails so i need a reliable and virus-free one.

Advertisements

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Yes you can, you can add a seperate identity for your other email accounts if that is what you want. You can just also add the email accounts you have in the same identity and just create a filter so you'll receive ur emails on certain folders you created.

I used my Gmail account for all sort of transactions and works perfect for me. I havent tried Hotmail yet. Yahoo, on the other hand is good as well. But you'll need a 'paid' account so you can access your email(s) through an email program such as OE.

-To add a new identity

-On the File menu, point to Identities, and then click Add New Identity.
-Type the name of the new user.
-If you want to include a password for this identity, select the Require a password option, and then enter a password.
-Outlook Express asks you if you want to log on as the new user. If you answer yes, you will be prompted for information about your Internet connection. If you answer no, the current user remains logged on.

To add an e-mail or newsgroup account

1. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add.
3. Select either Mail or News to open the Internet Connection Wizard, and then follow the instructions to establish a connection with an e-mail or news server.

Notes: You will need the following information from your Internet service provider (ISP) or local area network (LAN) administrator:

-For e-mail accounts, you'll need to know the type of e-mail server you use (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP), your account name and password, the name of the incoming e-mail server and, for POP3 and IMAP, the name of an outgoing e-mail server.
-For a newsgroup account, you'll need to know the name of the news server you want to connect to and, if required, your account name and password.
-Each user can create multiple e-mail or newsgroup accounts by repeating the procedure above for each account.
-After setting up you email account, Make sure 'My Server Requires Authentication' Option is checked. Repeat the same process untill you're In the Internet Account Dialog box, select the email account you set up (highlight it) then click on Properties button, then go to Servers tab. At the bottom part, the option should be there and make sure it is checked.

Hope that helps! :tazz:
j

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
it did help, ty so much =)

GJ

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
thanks for the info jrom.
For a long time I've been trying to figure out how to add yahoo mail to outlook express. Hotmail seemed to have added itself when I downloaded the latest version of Outlook Express.
I just tried to add Yahoo Mail, won't work. I think possibly the problem may be that yahoo requires for login, just your user name without the @yahoo.com. It keeps telling me it's not sure of the user name. I've tried both ways. And I've tried with the login screen addy, and with the addy after login, still won't work. I've checked the Hotmail settings and have used the same ones with Yahoo as far as http, etc.
Anyway, I get a failed, unable to poll, etc. error message.
Any ideas?

Edited by Pluto56, 11 February 2006 - 01:25 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yahoo Mail works with no issues with Outlook Express, I've had it doing that for the last five years or so.

See attachment with this post for an idea of how it works.

Attached Thumbnails

• yahoo.jpg

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 February 2006 - 03:41 PM.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
did that

getting error message that password was rejected.

I'm in the U.S. Maybe Ihave the U.S. addy wrong? I use yahoo.com hoping it would work. Whereas you used yahoo.co.uk.

any ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Should be interchangeable I would have thought.

Considering a Yahoo ID is a Yahoo ID and they do say that you can use that ID on any Yahoo service going...

But having said that, Log into your Yahoo Mail from the web account and go to Mail -> Options. There's a link - "POP Mail Access and Forwarding". You need to tell it to allow you to get your email through POP - by default you don't.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi Neil.

Just checked into that. Looks like they want to be paid for that service. Only 20 bucks a year, but hey, a dollar is a dollar. Thank you for your help though, much appreciated!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I've never had to pay for POP access.

But then again, times change and because I was fortunate enough to take advantage of it when it was free, as a legacy user I continue to get it for free. Same thing's happened with Hotmail; used to be able to get that through Outlook Express and now new users can't.

Sign of the times unfortunately.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

it did help, ty so much =)

GJ

I apologize, seems that I missed your replies.. anyways, good thing I checked back

Your Welcome inite :tazz:

Now, for the Pluto56's concern.

You have to have a paid account to have a Yahoo POP access.
However, there's a freeware you can download so you can have POP access without having a paid account.

Freeware is Y!POPS.
You can download it here
Then you can check the steps on how to set it up with your email program over here

Hope that helps again! :)
J'

Advertisements

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
sorry guys, but I have a hard time downloading anything I don't know about. Whether it's legal or not I don't know.
Not a big deal, but I saw this thread and thought I'd ask. I get notice anyway when I have a yahoo email, just would have been nice to get it in my outlook express.
But, don't think I don't appreciate your help! Really, I learned a lot.
Thanks guys.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

sorry guys, but I have a hard time downloading anything I don't know about.

:tazz:

That's good...
Before I download something, I'll do a search my self, like reviews and what not...
I've tried YPops before, but since I prefer using Gmail, I stopped using it (Ypops). :)

:) cya around!

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I apologize, seems that I missed your replies.. anyways, good thing I checked back

Your Welcome inite :tazz:

No worries. U've offered an excellent complete guide, good job, and good luck with ur training =)

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

No worries. U've offered an excellent complete guide, good job, and good luck with ur training =)

just an addendum--
as of jan 2006---
supposedly for security concerns--
hotmail free accounts are no longer supported in Outlook Express.

peace,
-t.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

hotmail free accounts are no longer supported in Outlook Express.

Not strictly true.

Those who were using Hotmail in Outlook Express before the cut-off point which happened last summer IIRC can continue to use it that way.

But existing Hotmail accounts which aren't being accessed from Outlook Express and new Hotmail accounts will not allow access from Outlook Express.