Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unwanted Duplicate files

• Please log in to reply

brianploof

brianploof

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently had a problem with Warning taking over my desktop and not being able to change my desktop features. I solved that problem but now when I save a file or create a folder on desktop, two are created. In addition I am saving things on my destop that do not show up, I have to go to C drive, documents and settings, owner, desktop, to retrieve these files. Are you familiar with this problem?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Brian,

No, I have not seen this before....When you say save to your desktop...how are you saving? From where?

brianploof

brianploof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Microsoft Office files mostly, however if I save a PDF or create a folder those also are created in two's. I recently downloaded Spybot and even that has two icons on my desktop. Also, I have three "desktops". One is the one I see when I turn on the computer. Another is when I go to local disk (C:) there is a desktop folder that contains different files. The third is when I go to local disk (C:) then I click on the Documents and Settings folder, next I click on the Owners Documents folder, in that folder there is another desktop folder that also has it's own seperate files from the other two desktops. Originally when I was having the problem with the Warning page as my desktop backround I thought I had lost all my desktop files but later I discovered they had been moved to one of the other desktop folders. Now if I right click on my desktop and create a folder two will be created.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you go about cleanng up the "desktop warning" infection

brianploof

brianploof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I googled my problem and followed the instructions from a site. I don't remember exactly what I did but I changed a diget or two in the registry. However, my current problem was already happening before I changed that.

brianploof

brianploof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am still trying to figure out why when I save something to my Desktop it saves two identical files. When I delete one they are both deleted. When I change the name of one, both names change. I have found two locations with desktop on it,
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
and
C:\Desktop
Can someone please give me some ideas of how to correct this.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would follow the steps below to ensure that you are truley clean of malware before we get too far into this odd problem

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.