Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer will not turn off

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I have a windows xp home edition computer, and when I do the "start, turn off computer, restart/turn off" my computer starts to eliminate items from the system tray but stops and does not shut off. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thanks,
T-Man

Advertisements

Sam-1990

Sam-1990

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, i will be helping you today.

First of all before trying the method below. Try holding down your power switch usually on the front of your tower/computer. for 5-10 seconds. Your computer will then shutdown, re-boot and see if your computer will now shutdown properly. If not, try the method below.

----------------------------------
Sounds to me like you have some software which is stopping windows from shutting down.

When it eliminates all items from taskbar, are there any left ?

Also press CTRL + Alt + Del, and look in processes and close any programs which could be causing your computer to not shutdown.

If you cannot determine what is causing your system to not shutdown from windows task manager. Please take a screen capture of your screen by pressing Prt Scn button on your keyboard of current processes. Once you have pressed the Prt Scn button, paste the image into editing software, such as paint or any other software you may have. And upload the picture in JPEG format to a image host site. Such as www.imageshack.us.

Remeber to do the prt scn button of the task manager in the tab processes. Also remeber to do this while your computer is trying to turn off.

Get back to me with your results.

Knyght

Knyght

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I get this problem fairly often. It's particularly anooying when I goto bed, and just press the monitor power, then my computer's power, assuming it will turn off, finding out in the morning that most of my apps have been terminated, but it's still running :/

The best thing you can do, is make sure you have nothing running before you turn off. If it persists, look at what's running (ctrl+alt+del) and kill processes under your user name (not SYSTEM processes or you may crash or end up with an unusable system) until you find out the culprit.

I have a suspiciion that the culprit for me, may be something that shows a dialogue box asking if you really want to quit.

Hope this helps, anyway.

PS. I don't really recommend it, but if you really need to turn your computer off, you can just hold the power button for a few seconds, but I guess you arelady know this.

Sam-1990

Sam-1990

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
^^^ What he said - lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you running any norton software?

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Yeah I am running norton internet security and it always trys to end the process ccapp. Does this mean anything?
Thanks,
T-Man

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Only my toshiba battery utilities and my wireless utilites stay open when I try to turn off my computer.
Thanks,
T-Man

Destructo

Destructo

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I had the same problem with my norton, everytime i turned off my computer or logged off it would say that ccapp was not responding, i dont know why. I uninstalled norton and got a new anti-virus and my computer logs off/shuts down perfect. Also when i had spyware on my computer it would not shut down properlly try checking for spyware/trogans/virus's.

catlvr14

catlvr14

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had this same problem. I found if I disabled norton firewall, it was fine. I use zone alarm now and no problems with them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
check your settings in norton..see if you have a shutdown scan enabled....also try turining off the firewall and see if that helps with shutdown