Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer quits responding

• Please log in to reply

Torchred

Torchred

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a=n HP laptop running windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. Whenever I am surfing the internet, after surfing for a while, my internet explorer quits responding. I don't lose my connection to the internet, since if I am in a chatroom or a gaming room, that conection remains active. But if I leave the chatroom, or the game room. I can't get back into them unless I reboot my computer. When this happens I can't go anywhere on the internet. All I get is an error that says page cannot be displayed etc. However, as I said rebooting fixes the problem but after a while it happens again. Sometimes it takes longer than other times.
I have run severasl spyware programs, as well as Microsofts malware program. I am also running Norton anti virus with current definitions and have found no virus's Any suggestions would be appreciated. I ahve two computers hooked to a Linsys router and only my laptop has this problem....However I should add that at one time I had this identical problem on my desktop, but that seemed to somehow magically fixed itself....
Thanks in advance for any advice people.
Confused and frustrated

Advertisements

Knyght

Knyght

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear... but have you tried Firefox (sig)?

Also, it may be a problem with your internet connection, rather than IE. I'm also tempted to blame your router, if you had the same problem on your other computer, but I can't think of any suggestions about that, unless you can borrow another router from someone and see if it works.

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No I haven't tried firefox, and just to make it more confusing. Last night after I lost my connection I just left everything alone and it started working again all by itself. I also ran spydoctor last night and it discovered ten trojan's on that computer....interesting, plus i was getting a keylogger blocked message(see my post in malware removal....Don't know if any of it was connected or not...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would say it is related. Your infections are consuming your badnwith, doing whatever it is they are designed to do...for example, if your machine was infected by a trojan intended to make your PC part of a DoS attack, your computer was so busy sending signals to a remote server, that no other traffic can get through.

Get completely cleaned and you will likely be ok

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks a lot, did you happen to read my post regarding the keystroke logger,,, is that related also? I'm assuming they all are.... By cleaning I assume you mean run all the steps in your malware infection steps? Once again thanks for the reply.
Torch

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes