Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd drive opening problem

• Please log in to reply

audiosculpture

audiosculpture

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi.
i have a cd in my dvd drive that must have gotten unseated. the drive will open about 1/2", then get stuck. any ideas on how to resolve this? i've tried to gently shake the drive, hoping to get the disc back into place, but that doesn't work. it is an external MSI DRE8. any thoughts?

thanks,
tony

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You may have to sacrifice the cd in the drive...Do you have needle nose pliers or maybe a tweezer that can reach in and grip the cd? Before you do anything, get a flash light and look into the drive opening and see if you can see the location of the cd that is hanging this up. That may give you a better idea as to what to do and how to approach this.

audiosculpture

audiosculpture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the quick reply. its less than 1/2" that it opens, i can't see inside of the drive. this also means it doen't open enough to get tweezers in.
is taking the case apart an option?

audiosculpture

audiosculpture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry about the extra blank lines & .0 in my last post....the cat jumped up on my desk & i did't realize he hat hit a few keys.

tony

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could try taking the disk apart, but I would not count on that. It might help to take the cover off of the drive itself so that you can see where the disc is and reposition it so that it will open. At this point it will not hurt since unless you get the disc out, it is unusable.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Sure I will excuse the cat! Mine supervise too, just doing their job hey? Opening the case is an option, especially if it gives better visibility and/or access to inside of the drive. Did you try the pin hole ejector on the front of the drive? I suspect it probably gives the same result, only 1/2 inch opening?

Here is an idea....what about a long flat finger nail file type device that you can insert, hopefully locate the cd and maybe move it? Hack saw blade is another one that comes to mind.

Third and final idea...Is this under warranty??? If it is, don't do anything!! File a warranty claim. Who ever heard of this happening anyway? I bet the manufacturer would want to know. If it is not under warranty, get that hack saw blade.

audiosculpture

audiosculpture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the drive is no longer covered by warranty. i guess i will try to dismantle the case & see what i can do then. then if that doesn't work, i'll break out the hacksaw & just cut the thing in half.