Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post test woes

• Please log in to reply

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I havent built a system in a long while so I dont recal what the different beeps mean on post testing. I recieved an old P3 system froma friend and it worked when I booted at his place (got the standard 1 quick beep and went into the bios (no drive at the time)) but now I am home and I get the quick double beep at post. I dont know what to do. I pulled the ram to see if that was it and got an entirely different error beep code, so its not the ram. and if I pull the processor it doesnt power up at all so I am at a loss.

System specs:
P3 640 sumthin MHZ
200W PS
e-GeForce2 MX-400 64mb Vid card (tried pulling all the cards too to no avail)
the MoBo I dont know who makes it but I think it is a gateway board. the gateway logo on the front of the case says "gp" if that helps. oh its an ATX but with a P3 thats prolly a given.

Thanks to all those who help me make this box run !

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
BIOS Beep Codes

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
so i have a "Parity circuit failure" I have no idea what that means

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm guessing it's the RAM. If you have more than one stick, try one at a time.

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have now used 6 different chips (there are 3 slots) so I used each stick in each slot until I went through and did every combination with no love :tazz:

dmohnen

dmohnen

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Are you sure you have the right model machine and post code. Does your monitor come up?? Can you get into the BIOS setup routine??

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
No I cannot get a monitor display because it doesnt make it past post. the beeps are like the single "ok" beep but two of them. and yes that is the corect model for the machine. So no can't get into the bios cause it wont get past post.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I have now used 6 different chips (there are 3 slots) so I used each stick in each slot until I went through and did every combination with no love

I would guess a bad motherboard then.

dmohnen

dmohnen

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I would take out the video adapter and all the cards on the backplane. See if it boots. See if you get the post code for the bad video input. If no change, Reinsert all cards and try again.

mikhaelwallace

mikhaelwallace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well after removing everything I still get the post error. I think it must be the mobo (d***)