Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System startup problems.

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi all. First of all this is what im using in this pc.

Spec:

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2-VM SKT775 I945g Chipset MATX
Cpu: 3.4ghz Intel lga775 551 64bit 1MB Cache Processor
Graphics card: eVGA GeFORCE 7800 GT CO 256MB PCIe
HDD: 80gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm Serial ATA
Memory: Corsair ValueSelect 533mhz PC4200 DDR2 RAM
Sound card:5.1 Surround Sound 6Ch PCI Card
Drives: Sony 40X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM E-IDE interface

Excuse me if there is anything i have missed out

Problem:

I put all my pc together correctly (i hope) and then turned it on for the first time. At first it displays the motherboard model and the pentium 4 logo. It then goes to a screen stating things such as CPU core speed and RAM information. Then it goes to a screen saying:

Please wait for IDE scan, it then says

Drive 0 : Sony DVD (model name blah blah)
Drive 1 : Not detected

When my XP home disk is inserted it says: a bootable CDROM was found in drive 0.

Then less than a second later it turns off completely. If you turn it back on it turns off even sooner and so on. Then you have to leave it for a few minutes for it to get up to the point of displaying that message again but then it will still turn off.

Any ideas on how to help. Thanks a lot everyone

Edited by Samjula, 03 January 2006 - 04:06 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like a heat or power supply problem, whats your PSU (rating and brand) and are you using the stick cooler or an after market one and what thermal material are you using.

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, id need to check those things, but ive just had the motherboard out of the case and powered it up just witht eh graphics card and cpu and it worked without turning off. So i think it the mobo could be shorting out on itself

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My current PSU is just the one that game with the case. It is a 24 pin 460W Sapphire PSU. Also, what is an average intel cpu temperature?

Thanks
Sam

Edited by Samjula, 03 January 2006 - 05:08 AM.