Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC HELP: I Need Help Building a New PC!

• Please log in to reply

tommyboy

tommyboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a 3 year old comp and it can run most games decently; HL2-med,CoD2-med (etc)

The problem is i want to enter game design and im afraid my computer just won't cut it,another thing is that i like to play video games. I was wondering if its possible to have a good computer for like 1500-1800$ CDN.

Is SLI really worth it? I know that AMD processors are better then intel, and after lots of searching i chose an AMD athlon 64 4400x2.

Thank you for the help.

Edited by tommyboy, 02 January 2006 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLI most of the time really isnt worth it,im not an expert on exchange rates and prices etc but from what ive seen here about prices over there it would seem you could get a good pc for that money. The 4400+ is pretty much the best one to get at the moment(the faster one is a bit to expensive).

You will want two gigs of ram, and a good gfx card.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Yea- socket 939- for dual channel- get the dual channel mem. to take advantage of that

Graphics- go 6800 GS with a 500 dollar processer- you might be able to also fit in a 7800 GTX but that would be a tight fit- about 1000 for both, 150 for memory, 100 for harddrive, 100 for case w/ psu (antec sonata II or p180) and thats already 1350 BUT THATS WITH THE 7800! so i would go with the 6800 -- you will be happy with that and have some green left in your pocket

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
But when it comes to gaming there wont be anything to distinguish the X2 from the standard 64 bit. SLi is certainly a waste............but that will change soon enough (although i think gfx manufacturers are now going to go ahead w/ dual GPU cards instead of 2 cards) Newer games will be able to utilze SLi. I would say to get Sli 6600 GTs b4 a 6800 GS, but even better just a 7800 GT (not GTX)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Two 6600GTs would be a complete waste of money. There have so far been three games with dual core compatibility and several with SLI compatibilty, most of this years new titles will be dual core compatible either straight form the box or with a patch.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
1CoD 2 doesnt count cuz its graphics suk name game the effectively utilze SLi
2 two 6600 GTs cost $200
3 Name the games that utilize dual core capabilites

Im not saying he shouldnt buy dual-core but that he should wait for the prices to go down and wait for programs that EFFECTIVELY utilize the technologies