Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Second HD

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I want to add a second HD to my computer, and I just need to know if there's anything I need to do besides hook it up to my mobo? Something about setting it to Slave? What exactly does that do? (I looked over the diagram on the hd, I know that to set it I just need to move that jumper).

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just set it to slave. That's all you need to do.

Basically all Master and Slave do is define which drive takes prority on the IDE cable. In most cases the drive at the end of the cable furthest from the motherboard is the "senior" one but by changing the jumpers you can tell the hard drive to tell the computer that it has priority.

Cable Select just basically sets Master and Slave depending on which connector the drives are plugged into. One on the end becomes Master, the one in the middle becomes Slaves.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Depending on your machine and what else you have in the machine, you may also need another IDE cable. Sometimes the places are cheap and put a CDROM on the same IDE cable and leave the second IDE controller empty (assuming you have two, which is typical, if you only have one and have two IDE drives, then you are sol).

If you have two ide channels (typical) and nothing on the second channel, then you would want to leave the disk as master and attach it to another cable.

One device has to be the master, the second device has to be a slave. It is so that it can "properly" share the data channel.

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks guys, and if it needs formatting I can just go to My Computer, Right Click -> Format and it'll format to NTFS?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It depends on whether it is partitioned or not as to whether you can access it under "My Computer".

Otherwise:

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

Then you can partition, create a filesystem (what people incorrectly call formating) or just about anything else with the disk.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also you only need to set it to slave and mess around with cables if its an IDE hard drive SATA hard drives are plug and play.